Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast bar

Options
  • 16-03-2024 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

At the moment we are doing some renovations and I have the laminate wooden floor up and scrapped and a new one bought.

Before the floor goes down we have rejigged the kitchen slightly and have ended up with an opportunity to extend the kitchen worktop out past a new 900mm cupboard unit and make this extended part into a breakfast bar.

We would like the worktop to then go from horizontal to vertical and finish at ground level.

So I’m wondering a couple of things,

1) the worktop is 25mm square edged and I plan to fix the vertical piece under and flush with the end of the horizontal piece, but I’m not sure what the best way to join the two pieces of worktop together are, wood glue and dowels? Also should I take off the laminate where both bits of wood will touch, to have wood stuck to wood as opposed to the laminate to laminate?

2) how would I fix the vertical piece of wood to the ground? I’ve been thinking small metal right angled brackets that the wooden floor can hide half of, and the piece of bracket that holds the vertical worktop can be covered by skirting? Or could I glue and dowel into the wooden floorboards?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated folks.

Advertisement