Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expansion Vessel Charge

Options
  • 16-03-2024 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

How often does an expansion vessel need to be recharged? Could a low charge cause very infrequent (every 30 minutes) of a water pump on the same loop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭delboythedub

If your water pump comes on of ifs own accord every 30 minutes check for a dripping tap And your toilet bowl. Think if you google Stuart Turner pump fitting instructions it tells how to check expansion vessel.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mark23

Its only on the hot water loop (if I isolate the hot water taps the pump doesn't cycle) so it can't be the cold water taps or toilets. I checked the hot water taps and can't find a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭halkar

Not sure what make the pump is but there may be air trap in the pump and you can bleed it if there is bleeding port somewhere on the pump. Also may help if you switch off the pump from mains at night or when not needed to rest it for a while. This works for me when my pump goes crazy. Assuming you have no leaks somewhere. Toilets are usually number one cause of pumps running sporadically.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Check that your tundish is dry, though isolating your tap wouldn't stop a faulty vessel problem.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

I already turn it off at night. When I close the valve on the egress side (isolating it) the pump stops cycling so I don't think it's a problem with the pump itself.

• Advertisement

I don't have a tundish that I can tell.

It turns on very regular (to the minute) but I think it slows or maybe stops when the water heating is on. As a test, I completely drained the hot water so it was cold and it stopped entirely

Advertisement