Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do plumbers exist

Options
  • 15-03-2024 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I moved to Glenties 7 weeks ago to refurb a Victorian House. It has some pipework done but not connected. We are living without water, bathroom or kitchen and need all of the above plus more. Seems plumbers are impossible to find, especially registered ones. Any professional ot there that can help? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I have just had & paid - three different plumbers and a roofer into my place in Dublin to find the source of a leak. Two of the three said they couldn’t locate it without tearing apart walls and taking down cealings, the third identified it as two loose tiles on the roof which they said they wouldn’t fix as they didn’t do roofs (fair enough) & I then got a roofer in to (successfully) fix.

I just went up to the attic with an extension cable and proper lamp - rather than the mag light and iphone the others had used - and within five minutes had found a corroded dripping pipe which was leaking through the cealing onto a spot I’d pointed out to then all and which they all said was not leaking. It took me FIVE minutes. Had they moved any of the christmas boxes alongside it they would have spotted they were soaking wet and under a dripping pinhole leak. The leak had already come through the cealing and not spread so it wasn’t too complex a guess to figure out All 3 did not check properly. My point is that all of that cost me nearly 1 1/2 k, only one leak was found and fixed, and three sets of so called plumbers were paid for incorrect and seriously lacking diagnosis.

If you are lucky enough to find a plumber who is actually qualified and turns up, make sure you get the details of their insurance - if you can find them - Im now twenty phonecalls deep into plumbers who didn’t reply or bother to show up - apart from my 3 - and Im almost 2 k lighter - and thats before I replace the plasterboard or ruined cealings. or get anything repainted or ‘fixed’. Im totally in despair of the entire industry which seems to be entirely under regulated and populated by total lazyheads or chancers.

Try sourcing one north of the border - you might get better regulation or standards there as there seems to be no regulation or control of them here.

If you fond a great ine let me know - I still have my leak. Bad luck to have 2 at the same time from different sources but just woeful for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

YouTube and people in Builders Providers are your friend for simple jobs.

I've done a dozen basic jobs around the house in the last few months. Plumbed sinks and showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Seventy Plus

You are better doing things yourself. There are great YouTube videos out there.

It is very stressful chasing after tradesmen. Many do not turn up having agreed to do so.

They rob you and do not do a good job. (MOD NOTE. Tone down that sort of generalised comment if posting here again)

If you take your time you can do it yourself; far less stressful

Post edited by Wearb on

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SeanieRetrofitter

If you're in any way handy, there's not much plumbing you can't do yourself. I've re-plumbed almost my entire house for less than what the OP has paid for....nothing....

Advertisement