Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability allowance claim under review

Options
  • 15-03-2024 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've been receiving disability allowance for 4-5 years. My psychiatrist filled out his section of the forms at the time. I'm officially only diagnosed with an anxiety disorder. Circumstances are unchanged.

My disability allowance claim was/is recently under review. I think we initiated this rather than them. My parents thought I was getting too little. I remember having a phone call with social welfare with my dad, I think this is how the review process began. I asked the lady on the phone at the time "will I just be means tested, or will I have to prove my eligiblity again?" and thought she said that disability allowance is basically for life and if you're eligible you're eligible for life. I was sure it was just my means and the money being looked at, otherwise I wouldn't have risked it.

Anyways, big disaster. They means tested me and now I'm getting less. Thought that was the review over but today I received another letter asking me to fill out a questionnaire. It's an MR99 form. So now they're seemingly questioning my medical eligibility? I don't understand what's going on. I want to avoid having to get something from my psychiatrist if possible. It's an MR99 and I haven't received any MR33, so I guess I don't (?) but it's still asking me to submit medical documents if possible, e.g. "investigations". I don't know how to fill it out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RexJavelin

My only concern at this point is losing everything. I live a 2 hour drive from my parents so it's hard to get help from them. My dad visited me last week and we phoned social welfare about the means assessment results, and the woman on the phone agreed it seemed like a mistake and she suggested a bunch of things to do, including having my parents write a letter. We haven't even done that yet and the deadline if we have to go to appeal is next Wednesday. These 21-day time limits to respond at each step are really difficult. Feels like playing catch0up constantly. I was a couple days late submitting stuff previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Means testing is based on income status not diagnosis if you are living at home your parents income is unfortunately taken into account if you are not living at home go to your gp get a letter of support assessing your current standings medically and file an appeal, go to your local intreo office and ask some questions regarding what has happened possibly go to citizens information too if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 KKman82

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Would the social welfare accept a print out of the disability allowance application form or does it need to be a proper form from the intreo office. Only asking because my town doesn’t have an intreo office thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

A print out of an online application form will do. Alternatively, you can give them a ring and they send you an application form by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 KKman82

thanks so much for the reply, really helped

• Advertisement
Advertisement