Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build around 1.5k

Options
  • 15-03-2024 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€1500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1080p, may use with 4k TV on occasion] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Not in the immediate future]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Paypal/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In the near future]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [No thanks]

My current build is 12 years old aside from a replacement GPU and hard drive, so I feel it's about time to replace the lot.

I've set a rough budget of 1.5k. Something that will last me another 12 years would be great...

I've put together a rough spec below, would appreciate any feedback.

For the GPU I've gone AMD instead of Nvidia due to the unfavourable reviews of the 4060 Ti, but I currently use G-Sync on my monitor, and Moonlight for remote play. Just wondering if people here have experience of how Freesync and Sunshine compare?

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/8D9mHG

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (€375.88 @ Caseking) 

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€38.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX-6 4 g Thermal Paste (€5.38 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Motherboard: ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (€143.36 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory (€117.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€179.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 7700 XT 12 GB Video Card (€475.58 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Case: Asus Prime AP201 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€90.89 @ Caseking) 

Power Supply: Gigabyte UD750GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€86.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 87 CFM 120 mm Fan (€9.49 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Total: €1543.24

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

You don't need the thermal paste as some will come on/with the cooler but no harm having it in case you decide you need to remount the cooler.

Ram, it's all about the price at the time of ordering and any flexibility left in the budget, and it's not as important with the X3D chips, but have a look at the price of 6000CL30 ram when you are buying.

Personally I think the price premium there for the Samung 990 Pro is in no way worth it Vs €145 for a WD SN850X https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0B7CMZ3QH

Absolutely no way in hell I would buy the Gigabyte PSU! About €105 for a Seasonic GX looks the best right now but depending exactly when you order you might find others (e.g. one of the various Corsair RM(eX)) for a better price or even a solid 850W for about that €105 or close enough.

I'm not sure about the trio of Pure Wings 2. Depends a bit where you are ordering things from, if you do end up with Caseking I'd probably get Arctic P12 Max if going with adding 3*120 to the included rear 120 (or 4 and replace the included one) but I'd also be tempted to just go with a pair of 140mm fans in the top instead.

I'm not sure about the graphics card choice, I'd certainly be more tempted myself to go with the cheapest RX7700XT which is the Sapphire Pulse from Amazon for €429 or up to the Sapphire Pulse 7800XT for €522. If the budget stretch is ok, you really want NVidia and don't mind a little wait Amazon want €549 right now for a KFA2 GeForce RTX4070 EX Gamer shipping in 1-3 weeks and it generally lands somewhere between the 7700XT and 7800XT.

I think you would save a bit going to ComputerUniverse for the cpu and case but worth checking exactly what the price will end up as with shipping once you are nailing down the parts to order.

Nobody can guarantee you anything when it comes to hoping for 12 years but certainly with that in mind the 7800X3D feels like the right choice for gaming, the 7900X3D for about €50 more is an interesting choice for people inclined/happy to tweak around and with any secondary productivity uses in mind. If you were more likely than it sounds to upgrade your cpu the 7600(X) is also a good choice and could help you aim higher on the gpu now if you wanted or just get in under budget instead of stretching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My recent build used a slightly lower spec CPU - AMD 5 7600X - but a higher spec GPU - 7900 XTX. I'd echo the thoughts on the WD vs Samsung SSD and Seasonic PSU.

My build came to €2000 and it can't quite max the possible settings in Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora which I got from AMD promotions, so I think you would be a bit short of that 12 year ambition with that GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I certainly read it as 12 years with a gpu upgrade at some point likely if it makes sense but cpu upgrade unlikely but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Thanks for the great feedback! Lots to take on board there!

The 12 year thing is a bit of a dream, just making the point that I don't tend to replace my base hardware very often.

I've never had a GPU last me more than about 6-7 years so expect I'll replace that at least at some point so for that reason, I'd be more keen to spend a bit more on the CPU now and less on the GPU.

I've made most of the changes you've recommended @minitrue; Only thing I've not swapped out is the GPU because I've read the 3-fan variant is a good bit quieter, and I'm not keen on stretching the budget any further.

In terms of the case fans, I'm still a bit undecided on the best layout for them. Mobo supports 4 PWM. I was thinking of having the 2 bottom 120mm intake and one 120mm exhaust at rear. Top mounted fans might push the noise levels up a bit much...

Advertisement