Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stoma supplies being presented to me by pharmacist in open cardboard boxes at counter when I collect

Options
  • 15-03-2024 1:36am

I have an ileostomy since 2016, for year the pharmacy packed the supplies all in bags for me to carry home across the road to my apartment, all fine. I could go over twice if necessary. 

In them past year and a half,  I have developed (se I dart) progressive multiple sclerosis, of course with mobility challenges. In past 5 months my pharmacist has decided that instead of packing my stoma supplies in nice neat carry away packages to present them to me in an open cardboard box, visible to all and sundry who are in premises. I couldn’t care less about the latter, personally, but many others would. 

The same people who have known I live across the way more recently have started asking me “have you not got your car here?”. Fortunately I’m still able to drive most days, but that’s not a given. They would almost  appear to have a recent policy to be not particularly helpful, yet they boast all sorts of services, including delivery on website, none of which are in place in reality. 

Comments

Happy days! I was bracing myself for another open box ring presented to me… back to putting them in bags, I think I got the message across 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Sorry to read of the privacy issue with the pharmacist and I would really consider it as such. Glad to hear that this month at least the message has been received and understood.

I do think that for those of us with chronic and/or hidden illnesses or disability that the relationship we have with our pharmacist is a very important one. They are the health professional we see more than any other. The importance of customer care and engagement is rarely more important than with the lad/lady dispensing our meds and sundries.

Absolutely unacceptable behaviour a pharmacist should know better.

is it just a staffer or an actual pharmacist? Either way very surprised they should be constantly working to protect your privacy!

It’s a very small pharmacy, they did have different staff employed in more recent months, very nice folk, but I was observing today as I as waiting for one item that they are under an awful lot of pressure. 4 people came in together collecting new prescriptions that needed explanation.

As long as they continue to bag my items I’ll be happy, there’s not a chance I can even hold a box like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

Being honest they should get one of the staff to drop them over to you,

I get all my ostomy stuff delivered by the pharmacy and it's worth a lot to the pharmacy over the course of a year , if they won't oblige tell them your moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭suds1984

Try and have a word with a senior staff member (pharmacist if possible but I’m guessing that is the person that is possible changing frequently at the moment) and ask if they could ensure they are bagged up each month. Also ask if they could deliver as well. Delivery service could be advertised by owners who aren’t working in the pharmacy day to day and not realising the demands on staff who might just be too busy to deliver.

Advertisement