Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10% off duty free at Dublin airport

Options
  • 14-03-2024 8:57pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure you can use in the airport but order online for collection when you return....

daaWelcome10 at www.theloop.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

When I looked at the collect on return, the prices were charged as full price, not duty free, as the items were not leaving the country

Chancers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

If, you can collect on return then you are travelling in Europe and so Duty Free does not apply.

Duty Free is non-EU and it has always been that the goods must leave the country and be brought back - no collect service.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Kilteragh

This is true but they don't make any attempt to point that out when they market the service.

It's in the terms and conditions. Buyer beware.

I was flying to liverpool with hand luggage only, so liquids could not be brought back. I tried the click and collect service thinking it was a solution, duty free was available to me, but at checkout, they changed the price to full whack as the drumshanbo gin I wanted was not leaving the country. They did not say anything about the change, it just auto adjusted in the hope I would not notice.

Ok, they should have told you but, as you had no option to take the liquids with you then you cannot qualify for Duty Free, with collect on return they simply charge the non-duty free price - good you noticed, I guess if you had a few bits and a larger bill it may not have been obvious.

I doubt it was adjusted in the 'hope' you would not notice - the checkout staff are unlikely to be benefitting from charging you a higher price and at the price paid which would have included the Duty that element would be split out in The Loop's system and just paid over to Revenue.

• Advertisement

I did have the option to take the liquids with me. I was travelling to the UK, the issue was returning with it. I was not going to drink a litre of gin in 48 hours. Click and collect does not have a cashier. You do it on the site, there are no checkout staff. There is a massive sign on the wall advertising the service but nothing telling you the pitfalls. It is absolutely a scam by omission of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jay2023

can you not buy them in duty free on the way back?

I’ve just tried to do the click and collect and they have charged me full price at checkout. Advertising €13 bottles and then charging €33 at checkout. Mad.

To be duty free they must leave the country to a non-EU destination, so you cannot use click and collect.

Click and collect can still apply but, you pay the intra-EU price.

yeah. I am flying to Lanzarote and it was giving me the €13 bottles but then when I go to check out the price was €33 per bottle.

Why have a “loop” if it doesn’t work. Makes no sense at all. They shouldn’t advertise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

airport prices just don't make sense. they are way overpriced vs normal shops. also for duty free, why buy it in Dublin airport on the way out? Why not buy it in the departure airport on the way back home?

• Advertisement

Something like Drumshambo Gunpowder may not be available in the destination in the Uk. The issue I have is they dont tell you the limitations of the click and collect service. I sat in the bar and tried to order it 3 times and got nowhere. They kept quiet about the issue. I had to figure it out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

What's confusing about it?

The goods need to leave the state to be duty free.

It works perfectly for me, I'm flying to LCY tomorrow getting a bottle on the way and bringing it back duty free.

The issue is they dont tell you. And the fact you are getting a bottle on the way and bringing it back suggests you have check in luggage. If you dont, it gets taken off you at security in London

it’s called the loop and they advertise it that you buy before you fly and collect it on the way home. Why the F@@@ would you want to buy it on your way out only to be dragging it around with you for the entire duration your away. Just buy it in duty free in the airport on the way back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the Loop as a business these days is crazy….so much inaccurate information on their website from pricing to product descriptions….

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

that sounds like a You problem. Who buys bottle with the intent of being it back with them?

most will buy it as a gift, or bring it back to their own country or drink it while away

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Make up and some alcohol is cheaper there , so it suits some people

bottle was for my daughter.

not a you problem at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

By figure it out do you mean click the fairly obvious T&C dropdown where its literally the first one?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

FWIW the code is handy for non booze and cigarettes where it doesn't matter if you are travelling within the EU or not.

Aftershave, perfume or beauty stuff that is 20% less than Brown Thomas is a further 10% cheaper and and you can use click and collect for liquids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement