Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Cow to Trinity cycle - which route?

Options
  • 14-03-2024 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭

Folks, I'll be in Dublin in a few weeks, and I have it in my head to park in the Red Cow, and cycle in from there.

Thing is, I've no idea what route to take.

Google maps has given me a few route. Anyone who is familiar with such a cycle, I'd be grateful if you'd have a look and see which, if any, would be best, or otherwise, what route would you take?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

I used to work in the long mile road road. The most direct way is the drimnagh road but I haven't cycled it in years so don't know how friendly it is. Back in 2010 it had trucks galore and wasn't fun

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Head north to nangor road to join canal greenway or south to join dodder valley cycleway... Otherwise naas road going in is wide with bus lanes, but a lot of junctions and gateways...

Now Grand Canal has had some antisocial behavior around dusk between naas road and inchicore, whereas the roads have antisocial drivers the whole time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Fastest is surely straight down to Inchicore and turn right at Black Lion pub and straight all the way in again .Might not be most fun traffic wise though ...

Post edited by 2011abc on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

Thanks so far folks. I'm not necessarily looking for the fastest way in, especially if it's one of the main driving routes in. I know what it's like to drive through Inchicore into town. Not sure I fancy it on a bike.

This is not a commute, I'm looking to try make it somewhat enjoyable, without meandering all over the city, so parallel roads that might be quicker, paths through parks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

Do you have to park in Red Cow? Depending on where you are coming from, if you just want a pleasant cycle into the city centre you could drive as far as Terenure, park near Bushy Park and cycle in from there. Usually a fair bit of free parking around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,023 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Talking a right onto Walkinstown Avenue at Kylemore and then down the Long Mile Road, going through Crumlin and then Dolphins Barn and down Cork Street would be an interesting way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭cletus

Yeah, I'll be parking the car at Red Cow, that'll definitely be the start point.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

The easiest way is to navigate from the Red Cow down the cycle - walkway onto the Naas road and manage to get to the Long Mile Road. Once on the LMR, keep going down Crumlin Rd and Cork Street. Its ok from a cycling perspective but its the most direct route into the city centre.

The most difficult part is getting from the Red Cow on to the LMR.

Advertisement