Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do people put ATW heat pumps?!

Options
  • 14-03-2024 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

What are the considerations when deciding heat pump location? We are retrofitting a semi-d and need to decide where to put it. It doesn’t fit on the back wall because there isn’t enough space between the various windows and doors. The side passage won’t be wide enough unless it’s mounted above head height, which would then be very close to a bedroom.

I don’t want to put it against the garden wall because I don’t want to look at it and it seems it can’t be well disguised with planting because of the need to leave space for air circulation.

I also read it shouldn’t be in facing a path because the fan can cause ice in the winter. Is this true?

Any thoughts/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

I have a heat pump and have it facing onto a path. I never have an issue with ice. I would assume that the condensate drain could potentially be an issue if allowed to drain over a path where the water could freeze. But as long as you drain it away somewhere suitable then problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭bemak

Best place I've seen one was in a project where they made the chimney extra wide to make an alcove for the HP within it. Was very well done. You can barely see it in the image below.

Link to project here: https://www.archdaily.com/804218/the-quest-strom-architects

Post edited by bemak on

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭bemak

another long distance view of it there. obviously this house would be a different level to most - but notwithstanding that, I think the idea of incorporating it into a chimney structure is a clever idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

This is interesting, thanks. We were considering a first floor flat roof as an out of the way location but we were told it could make access tricky for servicing

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Ours is going at the back corner of the house on the footpath - more or less against the wall of the house (there has to be a certain stand off distance). We will just have a drain to catch the run off from the unit. It was the most sensible location for minimising the distance to the indoor unit, facing south, not visible from the front of the house etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Should it not go on a north facing wall? As if on south facing the thermostat will give incorrect readings when the sun is shining on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

They are not supposed to be in a shaded area as far as I'm aware which the north would be constantly. Anyway it would not make sense route wise to put it at on the north and would look terrible having the heat pump at the front of the house. It was put where the plumber suggested as the best location.

Advertisement