Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compulsory purchase

Options
  • 14-03-2024 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm just wondering if the council want to take part of your garden fir a bus lane, cycle lane, foot path etc., are you entitled to compensation or can they just take it for free even of it devalues your property?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

if they want to cpo a part of your property you can hire a surveyor (cost will be covered by the CPO) so you wont have to pay for this.

they will fight your side and agree a lost of value and any costs you incur and you will be paid for that.

CPO is meant to not leave you any worse off after the CPO is completed than you were at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The council have no right to take your land without compensating you. In fact, more often than not, they will offer you a very fair sum before going down the expensive CPO route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

I never said they would not compensate someone.

from citizensinformation.ie that I linked to

If your house and land are compulsorily purchased, you can get compensation. The level of compensation should:

• Leave you in the same position financially as you were before the compulsory purchase, or as close as possible to this
    • Be based on the market value of your property
    • Reflect the value of the land that is purchased and any reduction in the value of any land you keep that came about because of the CPO

one of the first things you should do is hire a Chartered Surveyor, the cost as I said would be covered by the CPO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I never said they would not compensate someone.

Apologies I was referring to the first poster. Good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Henny16

Thanks so much for your help. Does this apply even if it is quite a small amount? The plans aren't fully drawn but I'd imagine between 2-5 metres maybe.

I'm not too concerned about the garden, but the whole house/lot will probably be sold in thr next year or so for development, and every bit counts with potential developers!

Any general advice welcomed too from peoples experience, as haven't dealt with councils etc before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What plans are you referring to?

Your land is your property. The only way somebody else can take that from your ownership is to purchase it from you (either compulsory or voluntary).

If there is already a road on or bounding your land, the council may be able to upgrade that road without having to purchase the land. It would still be your property and wouldn't affect any further purchase from developers.

Advertisement