Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan conversion - picking a van

Options
  • 13-03-2024 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to see a van this weekend, what should I be on the lookout for. I will be arranging a vehicle inspection as well. It's a Fiat Ducato, is there anything that gives them trouble that needs extra looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Shoog

Don't be shy about looking for rust. Get down and crawl around underneath her and stick your finger in at any suspicious bubbling. Knock the panels to hunt for filler and if you find any ask questions, take a magnet and run it over the panels as well - they wont stick to filler. Be suspicious of fresh paint especially on the sills and underbody.

Rust is almost always the thing that ultimately kills a camper and just about all the mechanical issues can be resolved with money and skill - but beyond a certain point rust is not worth fixing. Ducatos are solid vehicles on which almost all commercial campers are based.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Shoog

Is it the one in Wicklow on Donedeal, if so it looks sweet for the price. Quite tempted myself but its a long way to go on spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

No, I'm looking at getting a maxi as I want to fit bunk beds and a rock n roller bed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

I'm going to look at a retired bread van, 6 years old an 180k km on the clock, would the stop start nature of the work it would have carried out be a possible issue?

Advertisement