Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My car nearly went up in flames today!

Options
  • 13-03-2024 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I have a 2017 BMW 1 series, 2.0 diesel.

Was driving to work, as I was in the carpark, I smelt burning plastic.

Smoke was coming out of the vents/dash and I could see smoke pouring out of the bonnet.

Pulled in immediately and hit the button to turn off the engine... except it didn't switch off.

The revs rose higher, then higher, then higher again. I thought it was a case of runaway diesel, so I pulled the bonnet real quick then popped the clips for the airbag with a view of blocking the air intake so it would stop the engine.

After 10 seconds of high revs (not hitting the limiter tho), the engine slowly decreased revs and stopped of it's own accord.

After removing the engine cover, I could see that the intake manifold was burnt and melted in 3 spots.

I'm thinking this is the fault that prompted BMW to do an EGR recall. Read a few threads of similar stories and all EGR related.

Anyone have similar happen to them and did BMW admit liability and cover the damage? What are the chances of this happening??? I'm not hopeful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Magown3

Pic of the damage

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There were multiple recalls for the EGR cooler on diesel BMWs. A good number of cases of cars catching fire. There is a fairly big thread on this forum about it also.

Put your car's VIN in here and see if your car is under the recall, they should have sent a letter to you:

https://www.bmw.ie/en/topics/owners/bmw-recall.html#recallLookup

I read of people who have had smoke or fire get BMW Assist to collect the car and bring it to their nearest dealer and they arranged a rental car. I'd definitely be ringing them to get more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

A lot of people had this happen to them. Not sure why you didn't get a recall letter but there is every chance of BMW will cover the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Sorry for your bad luck OP. Hopefully BMW will sort this for you. My former 220d had that part replaced twice under recall and had a third scheduled last year. Obviously a very troublesome part.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement

I only picked it up late last year so I was expecting the letter for recall any day.

I've contacted bmw today and they will come back to me soon with an outcome. Fingers crossed

UPDATED WITH OUTCOME

I called BMW Assistance after the incident. They took all of my details and after a day or 2, they supplied me with a courtesy car for transport.

Another few days later, the car was picked up and brought to the closest BMW dealer. Dealer had it for a couple of weeks, had to order extra parts. All costs were covered under the EGR cooler recall which was obviously the culprit.

All in all I'm very happy with the out come and how I was dealt with.

Even still, I may step away from BMW's…. and diesel for now.

Advertisement