Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All ports being used in my nearby fibre hub means I can’t switch providers?

Options
  • 12-03-2024 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I switch my fibre broadband provider every year between Vodafone and Eir (it’s an Eir installed line) by just getting a new router sent out to me and plugging it in.

This year is the first time Sky have said I can switch to them using the existing line, but when I went to do it today they cancelled the order because all of the ports on my nearby poletop exchange were being used. They explained it as even though it would just be sending out a new router, they would essentially be taking a port of Vodafone that they can’t necessarily get back.

There’s a fair chance that Vodafone and Eir have an agreement and I can continue to switch back and forth but is this right? Seems very anti-consumer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭RobiePAX

It doesn't sound right. I have a family member who also lives in the area where ports are full. They can't take on new orders, but switching orders are ok.

As long as he provides the UAN number when switching, it usually goes through.

Best to my knowledge OpenEir must treat all providers equal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Just off phone call with Sky, got exact same response, no ports available, please try again in a few weeks. We are just out of contract with Pure, temp switched to eir but had to cancel as they tried to take over the line the next day even though contract not up. When I cancelled Eir they actually rang me 30 minutes later stating that I could have just put order on hold until contract over, something that first person couldn't tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 clashoftheash1

If we’re giving Eir billions of taxpayer money to roll out fibre, then this really is wrong. Sky are the cheapest by a good bit but I’m not being allowed move to them. Also very coincidental that after around 6 years of the line being installed, only this year have I the option of switching to Sky (still can’t go to Virgin) and I’d be certain all the ports weren’t being used a year ago.

The woman I’m dealing with from Sky said you might get lucky and one of the ports could free up but I’m in the countryside and there isn’t a hope of somebody just deciding not to have fibre broadband anymore.

I wonder could I get on to consumer protection or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Sky seem to work very strangely. You can’t switch to them on NBI either.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭RobiePAX

All providers are regulated by ComReg. You could raise a complaint with them to check on your behalf if it's unfair practice that they don't let you switch as existing customer.

https://www.comreg.ie/help-complaints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I rang them up this morning to cancel and they were able to sort it out. The issue was that when I signed up online I provided the Pure account number and not the uan for broadband and landline. Once I provided them they also need the Customer Reference Number which is not included in bill. Rang Pure to get this and Sky rang me back and all set now

• Registered Users Posts: 40 clashoftheash1

Ya I’d say mine should be fine (granted it was explained to me exactly as I said it in my post). I signed up as a brand new customer supposedly online and for that there are no new ports for me. They submitted again there as transfer from Vodafone so surely that will solve it.

I must have been 15 minutes looking for a number for Sky so I could sign up over the phone and had to give up and do it online. Knew there’d be an issue with it.

Advertisement