Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inheritance tax conundrum

Options
  • 12-03-2024 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi folks,

Named in a will and after nearly two years it is all finally settled.

Solicitor dealing with the will (also executor) hasn’t been great at feeding back information the entire time. (Missing calls/weeks to respond to emails etc)

I haven’t been asked for any banking details, but was to hear back 3 weeks ago regarding settling all this. Now the only piece of correspondence I’ve received since then is that I should’ve been talking to some other party that was named in the will (who has fleeced nearly every asset from properties named, which I’ve raised with the solicitor) and that there is some accountant doing a “group discount” per person as he would be using the more or less the same details per person to organise tax.

I still don’t know the final amount proportioned to me.

My question is, do I really need an accountant?

As far as I am aware I just need to tell revenue I am X, how closely related I am to Y, and that I’ve received Z. Then they tell me the amount to pay, I pay it, and that’s that.

I’m not sure if I am being naive, it is a complicated estate with assets in Ireland & UK; several banking accounts and a few properties.

Any advice, and I would be extremely appreciative.

thanks,

Dan

Comments

Advertisement