Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Superb diesel engine. Advice please

Options
  • 12-03-2024 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I am currently looking at buying a 7 speed 2021 automatic skoda Superb 2.0L - ambition model.

The model I am looking at is the 120bhp and I am wondering whether this bhp is too low for a big car???

Will the fact it is a 2Litre mean it will have enough power??

Would the 150bhp version return better mpg?? It will mainly be motorway driving with some short trips weekly.

I currently have a 1.6L 2016 VW Pasatt DSG (120bhp) and it recently gave some gearbox trouble, the repair guy said DSG gearboxes can give some trouble if the engine isn't big enough so I don't want to make the same mistake again.

I would have preferred to buy the Sportline model but there are none available with any decent mileage, so thinking of getting an ambition and stick some decent wheels on it, maybe dechrome it instead.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

Couldn’t see you having any major trouble to be honest.

Bring it for a test drive and see how you feel. You’d definitely notice if it felt like the car was slogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭User1998

To be fair, any DSG gearbox can have trouble. I’ve had plenty of A1’s A3’s, Polo’s, Golf’s with DSG trouble. I don’t think under powered cars are more prone to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kgroarke

Yeah he just mentioned the 1.6Litre DSG seem to give more trouble and engine was more for smaller cars. Cost me €1700 for gear selectors and he said there are still other things that could go wrong in it!! I would have thought gearboxes were much more reliable these days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭jmreire

Like everything else in cars, auto transmissions need servicing too. The son has a 2017 Passat (bought in 2019) with auto transmission, and about 6 mths ago, he had the VW garage who services it change the transmission fluid, and according to him, the difference in gear changing was remarkable, much smoother in every way. So Yes, check the service schedule and get the fluis changed on time. ( BTW, it has the 2.0 engine, so no shortage of power)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭goochy

Do you need a diesel .? I persuaded a buddy to buy a 2019 1.5 petrol manual a few years and he never looked back . Great car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 kgroarke

Yeah, my work trip 2-3 times per week is a 55km journey each way so need something economical on long trips.

I am hoping the Superb is economical... not sure if there is anyone here that can advise of the MPG for a 2 Litre DSG Superb might be???? Mainly motorway miles

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

dsg give trouble in ireland as eeryone things that there "for life oil" in them and dont change the oil every 60kkm

the super early dsg were "sealed" with a plug taht made it harder to change the oil, but, the notin that they dont need service is still knocking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bop1977

I had a 2 Superbs, the first one 2l diesel with 177bhp and the second one 2l diesel with 190 bhp. I think the higher the bhp the nicer it is to drive. In sport mode they pull hard, in normal mode I found them lazy to react. The 190bhp did 50-60mpg.

The dsg is a very nice gearbox as long as it has been maintained. It’s only €200 for an service every 60k.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭pauly58

Personally, I wouldn't touch anything with a DSG gearbox, they frequently give trouble & it's usually expensive. If you want an automatic then get a real torque converter gearbox but there aren't that many now, there are a lot of automated manuals which aren't the same thing at all.

Advertisement