Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone availed of the first home scheme?

Options
  • 12-03-2024 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi

I'm looking into the first home scheme. With a combination of mortgage + deposit + HTB + FHS (20%) i can buy a new build house in Dublin.

I know the government take equity and there's a service fee, but without it I'm looking at apartments which I don't want. I need to buy something and whilst it probably won't be my forever home, I'll be here for 5-7 years or more.

Is this a bad idea? Has anyone availed of it and can you recommend it or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FR206

Also very interested in this scheme too. I’m a single FTB struggling with affordability to compete with dual-income applicants for second hand houses in my area. Similar time horizon in mind as OP of 5-7 years to allow for circumstance change. At early stages of a promising graduate career with reliable future earning growth to fund the buy back. Will also reap the benefit of HTB rebate if I can avail of new build.

I am considering this scheme too to bridge the gap using the FHS but cautious of the government stake in my home and want to understand all issues in charting a path to bring own equity to 100%.

Say for example I avail of €70k for a home valued @ €355,000. (Approx 20% stake)

Considering the first 5 years is interest free (albeit % share for payback will track property price movements) - could this scheme be a possible hedge against the prospect of negative equity if a downturn came within 5 years at which point the government stake repayable = market value of home X 20%? E.g. if property price fell by 10% by year 5 and valued at 315k in 2029 the principal amount repayable would only be €63k rather than 70k + interest - hence there is a material finance saving costs as repayments could be invested/deposited elsewhere? Have I oversimplified and missed something glaring here?

Likewise, I’m mindful of the more likely inverse scenario of house price rises and the pressure that would place upon me to fund a buy-back however I feel that risk is easier to stomach given if market is strong house could always be sold and 20% stake settled that way?

Maybe my fear of negative equity is irrational given that it would be my PPR - I just had numerous relations shackled to homes during the crash that limited their ability to move on or size up as their life/family required.

Advertisement