Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with parent with Dementia

Options
  • 12-03-2024 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My mother has been diagnosed with dementia (vascular) with paranoia and also has other health issues. It has been slowly progressing for the last few years but was only officially diagnosed last December. I moved in with her when she had another illness after my father died over ten years ago. Since then I've got married and my wife lives in the old family home too. Up to now, my wife has been looking after my mother at home and in the early stages, it went okay. However, as time has gone on, my mother has got more aggressive and doesn't take any notice if my wife tells her that she can/cannot do something (example: not take the following day's medication). It has got to the stage where I have had to take Carer's Leave for three months from work to try and devote time to seeing what care is available.

My question is: are there any other people in my position who struggling to get care/help because their parent isn't "bad enough" (can dress, shower, take medication by themselves)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭csirl

Apply for the various services as early as you can as it can take months/years before you get them.

Thing you should consider:

1. Home help coming in every morning to get person up, washed, dressed and give medication. Will take a lot of stress off you wife.

2. Various daycare services where your mother can attend for a few hours 2-3 days per week.

Advertisement