Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liable for fathers funeral/ debts

Options
  • 12-03-2024 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

When my father dies will I be liable to pay for his funeral/ cover his debts?

I haven't spoken to him in about 6 years but I know that he will have no estate so to speak to cover any of this.

I have no relationship with him at all, he left me and my mother when I was a baby and only got in contact when I was in my early 20s. After a few met up's I decided my life was better without him and as such have gone completely no contact.

I don't think I can possibly be liable for any debts he might have, but a family member tried to convince me I will be. Also that I will need to pay for his funeral. I don't even know if I would be told if he died!

Comments

No you are not. The state will provide him a very basic funeral, the so-called pauper’s funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

You won't be liable for his debts and unless you arrange the funeral you're not liable to pay for that either. If he has no other family/friends to arrange/pay for it then as above the state will deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭heretothere

Thanks, I had a strong feeling my relative was wrong but I wanted to check. He does have 2 other children they don't live in Ireland but would be more likely to be told. He was involved in their lives. He also has a partner/ step children.

The relative that was saying this recently had to pay her share of the funeral costs for her mother. But I will not be arranging, attending or probably even be informed of a funeral, he is still relatively young but it will of course happen some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just be aware that if certain officials find you, they may try to pressure you to claim his body and pay for the funeral.

If that happens, you will need to refuse pretty firmly.

@Mrs OBumble Good to know. I am unlikely to be linked to him in anyway. We never lived in this country together so no shared PPS no or anything. We have different surnames too. I know I will have to pay for my mams funeral, she has 'no estate' either but I certainly would claim her when the time comes. But she's also still pretty young too so I hopefully have 30 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭herbalplants

100% sure don't worry. You won't have to pay his funeral and debts.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭suvigirl

He has a partner, I'm sure she will look after it. My father died couple of years ago and I had no relationship with him. His family looked after his funeral. I have no idea who paid.

One thing though, if you have no partner or children, your father is your next of kin, along with your mother. So, if you have anything you might leave behind, if you were to die, you might want to make a will. I did, years before my dad died, just to make sure he wouldn't get anything.

@suvigirl good point! But I'm married so my husband is my next of kin. Also after we had our children we did wills I'm in my early 30s some people think that's morbid but I think it's necessary. Mainly I wanted to be sure of who is marked down to mind the child.

Advertisement