Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two laptops sharing one monitor, and peripherals -> is KVM splitter the only option?

Options
  • 12-03-2024 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

I have two laptops (work and personal) and currently use an anker USB C hub to connect my peripherals to and then plug in the usb c to whichever laptop I'm using at the time.

But naturally, I'm a lazy man and would like to do away with having to switch the USB C's between the laptops...

Is there a device that is effectively the usb c hub but with two usb c's to plug into both laptops and a toggle to switch between them?

One of my laptops does not have a HDMI port...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I have a desktop and a work laptop when working from home. I have a usb hub thing that has 4 usb inputs (for mouse, keyboard etc) and 4 outputs (laptop, desktop +2 more). It has button to switch the outputs from laptop to desktop and vice versa. For the screen(s) I just change the video input using the button on the monitor to switch from laptop to desktop and vice versa.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07RC8F2L3?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

This is exactly what I do with a similar device. It has worked perfectly for a few years now. Since I never have my personal and work machines on at the same time, I just leave the monitors in Auto-Select mode, and they'll always change to the machine that's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Would this provide power to your laptops also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

No. My laptop is connected to a docking station for power, screens and network.

The USB switch is only for moving the USB devices between the 2 machines (speaker, keyboard/mouse)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You can get a switcher with all the connections. I went through a few of them. All stopped working after a while. No idea why. I do the usb hub and just reconnect the hdmi or use the monitor switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Multiplicity is a software kvm.

You could remote into one of the machines from the other using Parsec also which is excellent in terms of latency. There is a standalone version that doesn't require installation which might be useful to run on your work machine and remote into your personal.

Advertisement