Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden damaged by council

Options
  • 11-03-2024 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am not sure where this sits TBH, I was planning on putting it into construction (feel free to move)

So we have an unused dirt track at the back of our estate, and behind that is like forestry, I heard rumbling on the track a few days ago which was huge diggers going up and down ( I presume the council and I am still unsure what they were doing there) on Friday I noticed our wooden fence was lifted like 2 inches and thought wow the tremors from the diggers lifted it, I went out and pushed it down which was fine

we had a tree growing behind the fence ( on dirt track side) I used to trim it down as it was good for Privacy but I never let it get too high. Yesterday my wife asked "where is the tree" lol... so it looks like whatever they were doing they cut down the trees backing onto people's gardens to stumps... again which is fine as the fence on our side is around 5 foot but on the other side is around 7-8 foot.

Now the issues, my garden got leveled out recently and fitted with artificial grass, We noticed that from cutting the tree and possibly trying to pull it out, I presume the roots were going under our fence into our garden and have unsettled and lifted about a 3-foot area and made it a very obvious bump in the garden against the fence.

it's a weird one, is this something to contact them about? Is this something they can do anything about? I was going to go around tot the dirt track and try push the stump/root toward the garden to hopefully bring the lump down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

First thing is to contact the council and see if it was actually they who were doing the work. If it was, they'll send somebody to assess the damage. Shouldn't be a big issue if it was the council.

They will be very unlikely not to put damage they caused right again. As above first step is find out for certain it was them and whoever you speak with will presumably help you with who to contact.

Just don’t expect anything in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If the tree had died naturally and the root had rotted away over time, the effect could have been the same on your garden. Bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

My experience has been the opposite. Council responded quickly, assessed the damage and repaired it without delay. Perhaps it depends on which council it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Thanks all, I will contact them first and see, we also have a neighbour group, I will text this and see if anyone knows as it seems they cut everyone that had one down.

It wasn't dead, it would get its leaves every spring, it would grow very quick, I would just maintain it to the height of the fence so it was inline and not blocking our view, but from the other side it was a bit of privacy as it gave a gap of a few feet between the dirt track and the fence, its now just a 1 foot stump

Again I'm sure if I push the stump towards the fence it will bring down the hump in my garden, but now the roots have become unsettled im sure it wont future fix the issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement