Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Fare Notice - Appeal decision letter not received

Options
  • 11-03-2024 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,

I am wondering if someone else has found themselves in this situation.

Back in December I was traveling to work and tagged-on my leap card in a Dublin Bus, then I took the luas but I genuinely forgot to tag-on again, as I usually only use red and green luas line, so I tag-on at the beginning before I get on the red luas and tag-off when I get off the green luas, but that day I did it differently and out of habit I didn't tag-on at the green luas stop. It was a genuine mistake, as I had already paid the full fare in Dublin Bus.

Obviously then an inspector checked and they saw I hadn't tagged-on at the luas machine, I explained to the woman that I had indeed paid at Dublin bus and she said that I could appeal and explain the situation as it was not that I was traveling for free, I had already paid.

I sent the online statement of explanation within the following 14 days and never heard back from them, and I did forget about it to be honest. A few days ago it came to mind so I emailed them to ask what was the status of this and I got told that the decision was made back in December and that they issued a letter with it, letter that I did not receive and now I don't have the chance to pay the reduced rate that I would have had, had I received the letter. I have asked and they told me that they send them through general post, not registered, so I am wondering how is that fair?

I am not asking for the appeal decision to be changed or anything, I am willing to pay the fine even if if was an honest mistake, but if they are offering the chance to pay a reduced rate for a period of time, shouldn't they send the letter as registered post to ensure it is received in a timely manner?

It is very infuriating that I could end up in court because of this, and in the end I will have to pay the full fine because of a letter that was never received.

The most expensive commute ever, 102€.

Advertisement