Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CAR UNDER WARRANTY ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT

Options
  • 11-03-2024 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, purchased a car from a small dealer and given a 3month warranty, the very next day engine management light was on, I have given them numerous attempts to fix it, they have tried a few things and light still comes back on, own mechanic and another mechanic suspect car has been remapped and this is what is causing the light to come on. Does anyone know here I stand with this I'm at the stage where I want to give the car back and walk away, am I entitled to full price back given I have been driven it for 6 weeks all be it with the engine management light never off for more then a couple of days, I have fully cooperated with dealer and given them ever opportunity to fix the issue, I gave almost 20,000 for the car, very straight car, good service history not a banger, any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it's showing an EMF light then there is good chance that a fault code has been logged with the car's ECU. Did the dealer have the fault code scanned properly? Do they have the correct scanning software to read it? What did the dealer say is the next thing they plan to do or did they just shrug their shoulders? Have you discussed the prospect of a refund with them?

I'd also keep any third party mechanics or garages out of this as it gives the dealer an excuse to contribute or deflect blame elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭goochy

If you gave them a chance to fix problem numerous times and still faulty - you have the right to return car .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What is the fault code that keeps coming up?

Pure guess but is it the EGR?

If they sold you a remapped car without telling you, they haven't a leg to stand on either. You are potentially driving around with no insurance if its a remap.

unless you put on a rolling road how do you check its remapped ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I might be remapped to try to get rid of the EGR. Only way to tell would probably be to bring it to a main dealer.

If it is remapped, the seller may not have known about it, especially if it was just traded in against another car and the owner said nothing.

For the OP, you need to talk to the Garage and ask them what they are going to do to fix it, once and for all. You have given them enough chances at this stage so bringing the term "refund" into the conversation now will put them on notice as to what you intend to do. They have sold you a vehicle that is not fit for purpose so the law is on your side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭kirving

Depending on the car, with dealer-level software it's trivial to check if any ECU parameters have been modified.

With telematics in many modern cars, in can even be reported back to the manufacturer remotely by the car itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Software in dealers could pick up if the ECU parameters were changed.

The same type of cars are constantly remapped, dealer may not know and I'd imagine he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Might be worth reading up on your the short term right to cancel a sales contract under the Consumer Rights Act 2022.

its straight forward , if you give them a few chances to solve problem and they cant - you can return

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Whocare

Personally I get on to solicitor

• Advertisement

Last resort

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Keep a record of all your interactions with the seller/garage in case you have to go the legal route. Suggest to your garage to get your car to the nearest main dealer for a full diagnostics - should cost approx €120 to €150

Some modern VAG engines are notorious for intermittent EGR eml

Advertisement