Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crisis in Haiti

Options
  • 10-03-2024 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/10/haiti-crisis-gangs-attack-police-stations-as-caribbean-leaders-call-for-emergency-meeting

Haiti a country which seems to exist in a state of perpetual crisis has entered a new one.

Why is it so crisis ridden when the country it shares the Island of Hispaniola with (the Dominican Republic) appears to be a fairly stable country?

Seems like they really need to find a Bukele like figure for Haiti if they are ever going to fix it.

I feel sorry for the people of Haiti they have been repeatedly let down by their government who refuse to do anything to improve the lives of the people who live their and clean the country up.

Also noticeable the lack of virtue signalling about Haiti these days compared to 2018 when Trump called it a shithole (unparliamentary language I guess but probably accurate) and all the hollywood types decided to go virtue signalling in response or back in 2010 when it seemed every rich american family wanted their own Haitian baby to adopt.

<snip> rant about moderation deleted

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Haiti always has been as basket case , 32 coups and counting, its ungovernable by Haitians but no one wants to take it over.

perhaps the Americans will start to use it as a Rwanda type solution to their immigration crisis

tbh the only Haitians I know personally are awful awful people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,075 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What’s the craic with the border from Haiti to the Dominican Republic?

I always wondered why Haitians do t be trying to smuggle themselves into the DR as it’s a much more civilised and stable country.

maybe the centre of the island along the border is impenetrable jungle or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

A colleague of mine at work was Haitian who'd emigrated to France at a young age.He was an absolute gentleman really good at what he did in our firm, I suspect that consider its state of perpetual crisis all the good people who had real potential have probably left the country for a better life and as a result the brain drain really ruins any hope of ever making the place better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭randd1

There's too many reasons why Haiti is the way it is, but in general a complete lack of education, religious fervour and total corruption have it basically as a lost cause. History hasn't been kind to Haiti, but Haitians are very much the architects of their own destruction too.

Sadly, it seems the only way it could ever be governed or move on is if you prevent Haitians from running it. Maybe a UN run government for 50 years to provide a few generations with a focus on education and the respect of laws might be the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Haiti as an independent nation was screwed from the moment of its inception in the early 1800s. The french demanded the equivalent of $100 billion in reparations for the loss of their slave plantations. The amount was reduced but it took until 1947 to repay this payment to american and french banks.

The Duvalier family came to power a few years after this and set about a disastrous reign that used lots of sovereign loans to fund their regime. They remained in power for 30 years and the country has never really managed to get on its own 2 feet since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,691 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Heard reports Marines deployed in to evacuate the US embassy the other night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The acting president Ariel Henry hasn't been able to return from an overseas trip. He couldn't land at the main airport because of a gun battle between gangs and security, the Dominican Republic also refused him clearance to land (they clearly don't want the violence spilling over their borders). He's currently in Puerto Rico and the finance minister is in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭rogber

The country has been a basket case for as long as I can remember and seems to be sliding into total anarchy. As always, corrupt and violent men are the problem, I feel sorry for the women and handful of decent men caught up in it all and with presumably little way out.

Crazy what fate and luck does to people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

To be blunt in 1947, a considerable amount of countries weren't even independent or were coming out of various conflicts. The Haitian leadership over the years have a major share in the country's woes.

Wish the best of luck to the proposed Kenyan lead peacekeepers. They have a hell of a task ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Hope Denis o brien is alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

DR is building a border wall, so clearly they have a problem with Haitian immigration. Whether that will do anything else except make some border guards earn a little extra on the side, I wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm not sure saying Haiti had a lot of debt up until 1947 cuts it as an ultimate excuse really. A lot of countries post WW2 were up to their eyeballs in debt, they still managed to scrape by. The issues have always been severe, multifaceted and it's sad to see an example of a country that for whatever reason has never been able to hack it as a state and stand on it's own feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Europe had the Marshall plan though. None of that for Haiti. And of course there was the Duvalier clan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Don't forget the voodoo cult Papa Doc basically state sanctioned in the 60's to consolidate power. You are talking about people who claim their political opponents are literally demonic black dogs, so all black dogs are to be killed on sight. And they did.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

There's an estimated two million undocumented Haitians in DR.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

Looks like Jimmy Chérizier, AKA "Barbeque", a cannibal gang leader of the G9 mafia is now in control of the territory. This animal cites Papa Doc as an inspiration.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

He's a former police officer implicated in multiple extrajudicial killings going back to 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Law & Order candidate so. There are some brutal videos coming out of the country at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Baba Yaga

now thats a proper name for either a dictator or a mafia hitman.... "Jimmy Barbeque"

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭volchitsa

What measures could be adapted? I always understood that one of the problems in Haiti was that after independence, power was kept by the white and pale-skinned mulatto elite. In which case, the 95% black part of the population seem to be the victims, not the cause. Since they weren't running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I saw an interview with him on Sky News the other day

By the end of the interview I was relatively sympathetic to his cause

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The island was split between France and Spain, France had slavery for longer and left the country in a horrible state. But at some point they have to get their sh1t together.

Advertisement