Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RoI Address as a Cross Border Worker

Options
  • 10-03-2024 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hoping somebody can help to shed some light. Talking to a company who seem relatively keen on my chances of getting a job they have available. I live in NI but job would require me to be on site two days a week in ROI which I have agreed to. However, company is also saying that I have to have a home address in ROI because it is their policy, they don’t care where in ROI there just has to be one.

I’ve explained I would be paying tax to Irish revenue at source and asked what the reasoning for the address requirement is, only to simply be told its policy. Having been in a similar position a couple of years ago with another offer from a company in ROI which I ultimately didn’t take, the requirement for having an address in ROI was never once mentioned. I’ve spoke with friends who are cross border workers and not one of them has had this requirement stipulated.

im trying to understand in order to see if it’s a case of misunderstanding on their part or if there really is an issue. Grateful for any insight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They can have any policy they want, so long as its not illegal.

Address discrimination is not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭hold my beer

If you live in NI, they likely have to register as an Employer in the UK, and pay UK payroll taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dazedandconfused

I don’t think that’s correct as I would be paying my taxes to the Irish revenue via payroll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭hold my beer

It's a while since I've looked at it, but as far as I remember, if you're performing your work in NI, or some of it, then you need to be registered as an employee in the UK for that work.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

Where you are carrying out your work matters. If you in NI few days a week would fall into employment regulations in that region I understand.

Also company may be required to be registered for tax in other countries if have employees based there so to ensure they not caught out on this they must have a policy anyone employed in ROI have an address in the country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement