Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper Van conversion noob. What Van? any advice appreciated ...

Options
  • 10-03-2024 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im forever wanting to take on this project but each year passes and the dream remains a dream .... need some guidance pls ...

Carpenty and elec skills average and I have some power tools.

Whats the advised mileage max to go for?

Your fav vans to choose from? Van Budget Circa 10K ( Im thinking any lower will get me an inferior Van)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Main things I would be figuring out:

1) Bed situation, how many

2) Do you need things like a toilet/shower

3) Do you want it to double as a car

4) What will you actually use it for. Will you be bringing much stuff with you when you go away.

Then you’ll get to which size to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Shoog

Most modern van are not rated by camper enthusiasts. Second hand vans tend to be thrashed. Panels have been thinned down to the point that the slightest damage caused serious rust. Engines tend to complex and delicate with emissions controls that can cause issues.

For me the sweet spot for candidate vans is 2000-2008. Even then the choice is very limited.

The good reliable small vans are very expensive even when this old.

It's a minefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Hi Colm,

1) Bed - me + 1 ( +2 better but not essential)

2) Toilet / Shower - no.

3) I have a car so no need.

4) I'm imagining travel mainly in Ireland to the west coast of Ire. Occasionally further a field. I'm erring toward a smaller to mid range van.

Thanks

Might be prepared to go to the UK.

Got a car that way years ago. VRT is worse than what it was for cars, dunno if it's as bad for vans

It's not a great move since Brexit, VRT is only one of the duties to pay.

I have VW T4 and want to upgrade but suitable vehicles are very hard to find. Missed out on a VW LT35 last week, there won't be another one come round this year.

Renault master with the older simpler engines is my second best choice.

• Advertisement

What kind of budget is needed to get a decent / half decent Van ?

I suppose it can vary vastly on mileage etc

Minimum to do a decent conversion is €2-3k, depends if you want swivel seats (a good thing to have) and a good rock and roll bed. Nothing is cheap in a camper.

Insurance can be problematic if you don't have standing room in the back so low roof vans are not ideal. They also like front to back access so retaining bench seats is dodgy. Gas should be certified and cookers come in at €300 minimum, so budget for a gas fitter. Nothing is cheap going into a camper especially in Ireland.

Reregistering has to be budgeted for and anything suitable for conversion tends to hold its value. If you do it yourself you need a suitably qualified person report which costs about €300.00

You €10k budget is about right and you can get already converted campers for around that but competition is fierce and good ones last days on the market.

Advertisement