Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coach and Train Tips!

Options
  • 10-03-2024 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

I take a lot of both train and coach trips. I hate having to share a seat on a coach and if ever I do have to share I almost never speak to the passenger beside me as you never know if that person is going to be a chatterbox when all you want is a bit of peace and quiet.

To avoid this I always sit on an aisle seat. And I always sit towards the very front of the bus. Not the very first seat as there is a barrier in front of your feet and you end up cramped. I would say 90% of people who board a coach bypass the first few seats automatically and make their way down the aisle. I don't know how many times when the bus is almost full I end up with a spare seat beside me because when people find that seats are occupied they turn around and take the first available seat heading back to the front.

In a four carriage train sometimes (though not often to be fair) there is reduced capacity. So if , for example, if you are booked in carriage D and a carriage is taken away it will be carriage D leaving carriage A,B and C. Once I was booked on D and the train left with only 3 carriages all those in carriage D had no place to sit as all other carriages were booked out.

I also noted that once when I had booked into carriage C (lets say C 64) and the train had reduced capacity -meaning that there was no carriage D- there was no C 64. The seats in carriage C stopped at 60 or something like that.

So it seems when a carriage is lost to a service it does seem to affect the configuration of other carriages.

So when I book a train ticket, I never book carriage D in a four carriage train and it is always a low seat number.

Anybody else have any experiences around this?

Advertisement