Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US solar eclipse, April 8th 2024

Options
  • 10-03-2024 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭

I was surprised there was no thread on this (or did I miss it?). The April 8th eclipse crosses the country from south west to north east, crossing the path of the August 2017 eclipse in the midwest. Back in 2017 a number of boardsies were planning eclipse sightseeing trips. Anyone travelling for the 2024 eclipse? Where do you plan to see it from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

All going well, I'll be in Texas to see it myself on the 8th. We haven't picked our final viewing spot yet, but some friends and I are staying at Canyon Lake with maybe an hour's drive to the path of totality. I'm going to suggest somewhere around Comfort, Texas - it's gotta be nice with a name like that. There are several Texas wineries holding viewing parties, though it might be a bit late to book now.

PS my friends just booked us places here:

Post edited by bnt on

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Just over a day to go, and we’re set up at Canyon Lake with an hour or so drive tomorrow. However, the weather could be a problem. The area around Hye has clouds forecast, though we’re hoping it’s high clouds at least. I won’t be taking photos or video, no point with all the coverage it’s going to get. The signs on the freeway say “Eclipse: Arrive Early, Leave Late”

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Will we see any partiality of this in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Work colleague of mine flew to Texas specially to see the eclipse but apparently it's going to be cloudy over there and he won't see anything.

I had considered going to the Mayo vs New York game yesterday and seeing the eclipse but the missus put her foot down. I'll have to wait for Spain in August 2026.

Northern New England around Burlington is apparently the best spot today for clear skies.

Not a hope of seeing anything from here due to our crap weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Lots of clouds in Hye but there were sufficient gaps to get some good views.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Learnt a new word as gaeilge, eclipse is urú

Advertisement