Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfield Court - Problems with the PMC

Options
  • 09-03-2024 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all - posting this to get some views from residents of apartment complexes in Dublin (and beyond).

I am a renter at a complex near UCD for several years (Belfield Court). Recently there have been multiple apartments broken into along with cars being stolen and other issues. The complex is gated with a gate that either requires a code to be entered or a remote to open. There are also two pedestrian gates that require a code to enter. They frequently stop working and swing wide open.

For background here are some of the issues that we've faced over the last few years (I'm sure many complexes face similar issues):

• Several stolen cars (all cumulated earlier today with a car being robbed along with an attempt at stealing another car. Some residents chased the thieves away, Gardai were notified etc.,)
    • Several apartments have been broken into and burgled
    • Bikes frequently stolen (I've lost two with proper locks!)
    • Rats around the complex in daylight with several apartments reporting incursions
    • Poor building maintenance with leaks in common areas
    • Residents 🙄 and non-residents dumping everything and anything in the recycling bins area (we found a non-resident dumping a 3 piece suite one day a few years ago...)
    • I could go on...

The property management company (PMC) that run the complex haven't taken any suggested actions to help prevent or solve any of the above issues despite complaints. I know that they can't control thieves but half of Dublin seem to know the code to the gate (it hasn't been changed in years) and they don't seem to want to change it despite it being suggested. The gate frequently 'breaks down', remaining wide open and it is very easy to hop the fence surrounding the complex. There is no enforcement of parking for residents / visitors only; people seem to come and go as they please and the car park acts as a sort of park and ride for UCD / town. You should see the car park when the horse show is on (a few non-resident horse boxes show up!). They won't install CCTV (and put up fake cameras which were so obviously fake it's not funny).

One of the problems is the large number of renters that don't have a strong voice or avenue to make changes or try to force the PMC to take action. Most apartments are rented by landlords that don't follow up on issues and the few owners that do live here aren't having much luck with the PMC either. My own landlord doesn't engage with these issues when I raise them (they are a very good landlord otherwise) as they feel it is out of their direct control. I feel that I can't rock the boat too much as a result.

The Owners Management Company seems to be non-existent as well. Most of the management fees seem to go to blowing a few leaves every now and then, bins, and cleaning the common areas once in a while.

I'm sure others have experienced similar issues - any ideas around avenues that residents can take collectively or individually (bar sending emails to the PMC and landlords) to improve or change the PMC?

Many of us are paying a small fortune in rent (or indeed mortgages) every month so you can imagine how frustrating it is that relatively simple measures / small cost things aren't being done to make the place a bit better...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You are a member of the OMC, it must legally exist

OMC contracts for services e.g. an agent to run day to day matters

Talk to your neighbours, get the number of names needed to call an EGM and demand answers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They're a renter, as are most other residents seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 punttheball

I’m a renter, so I’m not a member of the OMC. Most of the landlords are absentee at best and don’t engage when pressed about how the complex is run. Only a few owners actually live in their apartments, there are a few long vacant apartments too. So the OMC is a mystery to us all…

Would be great to hear if anyone has any suggestions from renters who faced similar issues and how they pushed for improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Most of the issues sound like an OMC which is struggling to get the owners to pay their management fees, especially if most are non resident landlords. The only thing you can do is try to find somewhere else, it's not going to get better and most likely will become worse.

The mixing of waste is an issue even if people have their own bins, people put nappies and contaminated materials in the recycling bin, which is why most of the recycling waste goes to the incinerator

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

O/P you have rights under Sections 187 and 188 of the Residential Tenancies Act in respect of the management Company. You should avail of those rights and encourage other renters in the complex to avail of them. You should also start writing letters to the landlords (on snail mail, recorded delivery) outlining your issues. You may be able to build up a stateable complaint to the RTB. Point out that if there is publicity around the uissues the market value of the properties will decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 punttheball

Thanks, I've had a read of these sections. Good to be able to refer to if need be. Handy to quote to the PMC if need be.

These issues have been going on for years and it seems that it hasn't really come to light publicly. The asking and sold prices of apartments in the complex have reached ridiculous levels in the minds of those that live here and know the issues. Real Estate agents and vendors aren't going to bring these issues to light. I can't post the link, but look at the only apartment that is for sale in the complex on Daft - compare this to the PPR and it boggles the mind.

Rents too have reached a crazy amount for such an old complex. Many apartments still have single glazed windows. The most recent apartment to go "let agreed" went for €2400 (with single glazed windows 🙄) in a block that has rodent issues.

I guess we're a microcosm of wider issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Could also be worth leaving review of the complex on Google Maps, it might help future tenants.

Advertisement