Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 299

Options
  • 09-03-2024 10:54pm

This is one tasty looking card.

Blows UFC 300 out of the water for me.

Over a decade waiting we finally get to see MVP in the UFC!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Excellent card but why is poirier v Saint-Denis as 5 rounder as this isn't a title fight?

Apparently Poirier just requested it and they agreed to make it a 5 rounder.

I suspect he's hoping to drag Saint-Denis into deep water, it'll be Saint-Denis's first 5 rounder - he's only gone 15 minutes once.

Cracking first fight between Wood and Moroz.

What a way for Wood to retire.

It's a shame Robelis Despaigne is already 35 because, **** me, he's an animal.

Hopefully they give him the Chimaev treatment and get him some big fights quick.

Very athletic and a KO artist, needs to be fast-tracked.

He will be a danger for most in that division.

• Advertisement

Speaking of dangers, that was some stuff from Michel Pereira. Oleksiejczuk barely had time to blink.

The absolute height of stupid from Burns.

In control and he does that.

Yeah fight was his to lose and that he did. Some by JDM, him vs Shavkat would be some fight tho!

My god, MVP must be some pain in the b*llocks to fight haha.

You need serious discipline to not get frustrated. Even when he's totally off balance he has the unearthly ability to dodge opponents. He's like a shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Dustin dug deep there.

Out of nowhere, great fight.

• Advertisement

I can't believe what I've just watched. Saint-Denis mauling and then gets caught with the most beautiful shot.

Saint-Denis will learn loads from that and I have no doubt he'll be a contender in the future. He has incredible grappling but leaves him far too open on the feet.

O'Malley beating the piss out of Vera after two.

How Vera survived that knee I will never know - literal the perfect knee.

O'Malley was absolutely immaculate. Foot and punch perfect for 25 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Big step up for MVP finally. Holland is overrated, MVP proved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah BSD was not "found out" he was comfortable in rd1 and just got caught beautifully , it happens but he can come again for sure.

Islam v DP seems like an easy match up to make, not something I am mad for but just happy to see Islam defend the belt against someone from his own division .

Page was fun, interesting who is next for him, they will want to fast track him I think.

Sean v Topuria leaves me cold, so hoping for Sean v Merab but from a money POV the 1st fight makes more sense for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭barryribs

It's a shame its taken so long for MVP to get to the UFC, I can see them setting up the match with Wonderboy before he gets thrown to the wolves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Amazing performance from Dustin and a beautiful turnaround. Saint-Benis didn't respect his boxing enough in the pocket, Porier is incredibly dangerous even when it doesn't look like he's throwing hard. McGregor found that out the hard way when he tried to just plain box Dustin in the first rematch.

It was a good performance from DSB though to be fair, he really had Dustin under incredible pressure the entire first round.

Page fight was funny, Kevin Holland was so pissed off, but I thought it was a pretty crap fight to watch. That style might work on the gatekeepers but I can't see MVP making his way to the belt with it.

Good performance O' Malley, he really did give Marlon a hiding. I would actually like to see how he'd perform at FW and fighting Topuria makes way more financial sense for him.

Good card overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It’s amazing how many top fighters are mentally weak like that. Keeping impatient and frustrated is the a reaction that benefits the other guy the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭US3

Plenty fighters with iron chins like Holloway and diaz but my god how did chito take that knee, it didn't even dazzle him for a second.

Love ó malley but when he won the belt he called out a boxer, last night after beating a guy with no business in a title fight he calls out toporia. He has to fight merab next surly

Absolutely surreal how he took that knee. The sound alone was horrifying.

And Merab absolutely has to be next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone got me a clip of Poirier KO?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

BSD has came out and blamed the staph infection he had which to be fair plenty had spotted this week.

He's pretty much admitted he had to get him out quick as he simply was not 100%. I know some will say he should have cancelled, but this was such a massive moment for him to establish himself as a title contender so he obviously backed himself to get it done quickly. He's to good not to have another run though.

https://www.mmamania.com/2024/3/10/24096392/benoit-saint-denis-confirms-he-had-a-staph-infection-in-statement-on-ufc-299-loss

Advertisement