Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i entitled to a refund?

Options
  • 09-03-2024 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Trying to keep this as short as possible.

We have an air to water unit. It started leaking about a month ago. Called a company that was recommended by the supplier of the unit to come and look at it. The supplier used to do our service and repair previously but they don't have capacity for the area at this time so went with their recommendation. The leak started getting alot worse and with the company we had called not being available until the next day, we called the plumber who installed our unit. He came out and switched the water off and the machine, told us what we needed to do to repair it. Contacted the other company due out and told them the issue, said they'd have to order the part and it would be next week before they would get to our house then also stipulated they would have no responsibility for anything going wrong as they didn't diagnose the problem. Fair enough, we really didnt know who else to go to as everyone seemed to be booked up.

They came a week later (we had no heat and hot water in this time) and fixed the leak, while the engineer was here, he said we'd another problem and needed another part to fix it. He left without explaning all and we still had no heat or hot water. The day after he was in our house, we got a quote from the company of over €1350 to fix this newest problem. We were really sceptical about this as the unit was working fine even with a leak. I called up the supplier of the unit for a second opinion and was told more or less that we'd have to trust this company. Due to other issues with the company, we decided we'd try and find someone else to do it. 2 weeks went by and we couldnt get anyone out as all were booked up. Eventually we said we'd buy the part needed directly from the supplier as they were the only ones in the country that sell the parts needed. We did that and also asked them again if they'd have someone to come out and fix it, same answer again with regards to noone being available. At this stage we'd no heating for 3 weeks and with two young children to care for , it caused alot of stress . My husband picked up the part from the company and we eventually got a reputable plumber to help. He was questioning if we even needed the new part as he seldom saw them needed to be replaced in the space of 5 years. I said that's what we've been advised, anyway he installed the new part and the machine still didn't work, he took out the part and put back in the old one. He checked the electrics and saw a wire had been disconnected as this was the problem. He fixed the wire and the unit started working again. The engineer who fixed the leak orginally had somehow disconnected that wire and didnt even notice he did it and then said we needed this new part on that basis.

I then called the supplier and told them the story and asked them to take the part back as we didn't need it and it Hadn't been used. They are refusing to take it back as they said it's now second hand. We are out of pocked by nearly 1,000eur .

My question is do i have right to refund ? Should i fight my case in regards to getting the money back. I'm also on cancer treatment myself at the moment and unsure i should put myself under additional stress trying to get my money back yet i find it hard to not fight for justice in this.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭JVince

Unfortunately you would not be entitled to a refund as there is no problem with the part and the place you bought it from had no input to the issue.

If the company that supplied the unit and suggested this part went and installed it and realised it wasn't needed, you'd be right not to pay them. But you went direct, (,and I can see why) and there's no fault at the door of the direct supplier.

Maybe keep it safe, let the guy that got it working know you have the part and you'd sell it for €500 if he needs it at some point in the future.

Advertisement