Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace Sky Hub

Options
  • 09-03-2024 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Sky email to say they are keeping the price at €30 for the year, price cant be beat so i will stay with them, but the Sky Hub wifi performance has degraded the last few months and am looking to replace it.

So reading here, Sky with SIRO does not need a modem the ONT does that part, so i can replace it with a router of my choosing?

I'm looking at a TP-link Deco x50 mesh system, so is it just a matter of connecting it directly to the ONT and configuring the set up username/password and tag Vlan 10?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

No replies means either no one knows or don't want to help, worry not I went out this morning and purchased a TP-link Deco x50 to replace the Sky Hub and its easy peasy to get it up and running so i will post how here for posterity for anyone else looking for how to do it.

This thread has good info post 6

Use these settings in the DECO app while setting up

I also set the MTU 1492 as seen in other posts here and elsewhere.

Plugged it in first time to port 1 on the Deco and it did not work, so plugged into the bottom port 3 and it worked.

TLDR- ditch the Shy Hub , get a decent TP-Link router, plug the SIRO cable directly into the new router, follow the instruction in app, enter the above details, from start to finish 10 minutes and you will have much better Wifi, I'm subbed to Sky Siro for 500Mbps and am now getting a solid 530Mbps on pc with prolonged spikes to 700Mbps and the Playstation 5 for some reason is showing 1010Mbps! I'm not complaining.

I suggest the Mods make a sticky with the details on how to ditch the provided router from Virgin/Vodafone/Sky/Siro and use your own for much better performance, seems to be a lot of question about this topic but no clear answers......until now😉

Advertisement