Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a time limit on insurance claims ?

Options
  • 09-03-2024 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey everyone, looking to get some advice here, as my motorcycle was hit by a DPD Van while parked. I've the driver's details and registration number and they had admitted liability, the photo of the insurance disc was quite blurry so I've been trying to confirm it with them but they insist on settling out of pocket which I found difficult to agree with. Anyways, I acquired the driver's insurance information via my insurer and the MIBI but DPD had stalled for so long before I acquired the driver's insurance information that by the time I make the claim on Monday, 12 days would have elapsed since the incident. Would this affect my claim against them at all ? I did inform my insurance of the incident the day it happened and have multiple witnesses that can testify for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate, thanks very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

You’ll be fine if claiming of their insurance. Only your own policy can have more stringent conditions on reporting that you would have to comply with.

Anyway, can’t remember off the top of my head but it’s a long enough time limit for a third party property damage claim.

There is no harm in settling outside of the insurance policy once they are paying you enough to get it fixed. I did it before, sent the bill to the guy. I paid it and he sent me the money on Revolut. If he didn’t pay, I had his insurance details to go and get the money from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ver452

Appreciate the quick reply Keith ! I normally wouldn't mind settling it outside but they wanted to do it in installations as they cannot pay their voluntary excess. I know he's trying to do the right thing and compensate me but it's just a tad bit risky on my end without any safety nets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It either needs to go through his insurance or he needs to get a loan to pay you up front and in full.

If he can't pay the excess on his insurance what are the chances of him being able to keep up paying you back in installments l?

Or a combination of the above - you claim from his insurance and he takes a loan to pay his voluntary excess to his insurance.

You shouldn't have to be at a, even temporary, loss or take on any risk for something that's not your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

For property damage claims, you technically have 6 years to instigate (2 for injury claims)

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

From a practical point of view yes but from a legal point of view I don't believe you have to have any dealings with the driver after insurance detail have been obtained. You can completely ignore the driver and just do everything through insurance, hence the legal requirement to have 3rd party insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, the risk of you agreeing to payment by instalments is that he ends up stiffing you for the last couple of payments and it won't be worth your while going to law for the amount outstanding.

Tell him he needs to borrow the money somewhere and pay you the full amount or you will do it through his insurance. Or ask him to point you to a repair shop which will fix your bike and accept payment by instalments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ver452

Aye, I have no intentions of accepting their proposal, they've stalled for so long and the driver himself has even yet to contact me. I've been talking to the manager and staff of the depot. Now that I've confirmed w/ the Garda that the name, insurance and reg. all match up, I'll be filing a claim tomorrow.

Advertisement