Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certa Fuel Query

Options
  • 08-03-2024 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭

I purchased €10 of fuel from an unmanned Certa (Tesco) station on the 22nd of Feb. Checking my bank statement subsequently I noted the sum of €100 had been debited from my account. I contacted their customer service department who explained that this is a "hold" placed on the account to ensure adequate funds are available. However, to date 8th Mar, the purchase price has not been reconciled against the "hold" which is still listed as a pending transaction on my account. I was informed 1-3 working days was the standard period so what might be going on here? I'm at a loss of €90.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did you use a debit card?

Basically - don't, only use credit cards at automated fuel pumps.

Its usually 14 days for those holds to release back, which is basically now so I'd expect it back tomorrow. Your bank is the one responsible here if it isn't, though - Certa will have released the hold immediately but banks take 14+ days on debit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭_H80_GHT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

That sounds a bit odd. I use my debit card exclusively for petrol purchases. The payment goes through more or less immediately. There's no "hold" and the only time I have ever encountered a "hold" is when I book in at reception in a hotel, and they'll usually say it to you. I wonder was the payment keyed in incorrectly in the petrol station?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cetra are automated stations. It takes a hold for the max amount you set it to unlock the pump for (or possibly just 100 all the time - I only ever use a credit card there); then release what's not needed.

So this is exactly the same as a hotel hold; something else its a bad idea to put on debit cards - particularly as hotels often release the lot and then take the payment afresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I must remember that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I did use a debit card, yes. Anyway, there was a happy ending. The money showed up in my account this evening.

Thanks all.

Advertisement