Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dban and installing windows 10

Options
  • 08-03-2024 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

I want to Dban and install windows 10 again. If I install windows 10 again, I don't understand about what partition I should remove and keep when it comes to the partition screen. I have a C drive and a D drive and it windows 10 home. If I install windows 10 again, after I dban, will it install back to the original state. Has anyone ever done this? Can they please help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

No need for dban. Just do a fresh install and delete all partitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

If I delete all partitions, will it wipe everything and then I can install windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Griffin47

Just to clarify, I assume your hard drive is C. Is the D drive an optical drive? As stated, the Windows 10 install disk walks you through the process step by step. Just delete each partition on the list, which will eventually give you the whole disk capacity as unallocated space. Then click New to create a new partition, verify when it shows you the size of the partition, and it'll set about the installation. I prefer to do this job without an internet connection, refuse when it prompts me to connect to a network, and I can then use a local account rather than a MS one. If you have the latter, the internet connection may be desirable.

No. My Hard drive is C Drive, I have a Local Disk D Drive and my optical Drive is E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Griffin47

Is the D drive a second hard drive, then, or what is it? Just looked at my own Windows 10 installation with Disk Management, and I have a C drive, which is the single hard drive, and a separate 500 Mb recovery partition, which doesn't have a drive letter. Windows will create that during the installation process, although it's apparently not big enough for some recent updates, causing them to fail. It's allocated the letter D to my optical drive, which fewer people have these days, but my PC dates from 2008. I find the optical drive extremely useful. Just puzzled about the nature of your drive with the letter D. I can't recall installing Windows 10 on a computer with a second hard drive, but I assume you would be given the opportunity to choose where to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The C is the primary partition.

In the installer, it will ask you which drive you want to install on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

!!! before you proceed, as you have no confidence/knowledge what you are doing, i strongly recommend you take backup of your data if any valuable. It might be lost/ pain to recover. !!!

Optical drive is NEVER listed during installation wizard as potential "destination" for install - DVD out of question.

Installation wizard doesn't even recognize drive letters, its Drive 0 and partition NAMES listed, Drive 1, etc.

C:\ partition has no name by default, but it is possible to rename it from within file explorer or Disk Management

If uncertain, disconnect all/any drives that you dont want to install Win. Proceed with installation, delete all partitions present on desired drive *!, complete the install. Re-connect second drive.

NOTE *! : Possible variation that you have single drive (Disk 0) partitioned - within windows it would appear as C:\ and D:\, but from within installation wizard it would be individual partitions on Drive 0

In this instance, if you want to preserve data on D:\ , you would select and delete all EXCEPT "Partition D" on Drive 0, then install windows on Unallocated Space

Separate disk drive would appear as Disk 1 in Disk Management and as Drive 1 in installation wizard

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alesoft

1. Back up important data on both C and D drives.
    2. Boot from Windows 10 installation media.
    3. Select the C drive for installation, and optionally, leave the D drive untouched.
    4. Proceed with the installation process.
    5. Reinstalling Windows 10 will restore it to a clean state, but not necessarily the original factory state. If you want the factory state, use manufacturer-provided recovery options. Using DBAN will wipe all data, requiring a fresh Windows 10 installation afterward.

• Advertisement
Advertisement