Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Tooth fell out - Options?

Options
  • 07-03-2024 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had a tooth that a root canal was performed on some years back. A few days ago, this tooth broke and then fell out.

Could a dental implant or bridge be an option here to compensate for the gap where the tooth once was?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

either could work but you need to see a dentist for them to make an assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭I am me123

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Go for an implant if you can afford it, I had two a number of years back and feel it was worth every penny spent.

Thanks - if you don't mind me asking , how much may this cost, roughly?.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Most clinics now have a website, fees are typically listed on it.

A good guide would be 2-3k for an implant depending on where it is done, and complexity.

• Advertisement

Thank you kindly for all the replies 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭laketreeroger

This could be an option, I have asked on another thread does it seem dangerously cheap though!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

yeah looked at their facebook page myself

i'd be wary of the quality of the materials used

need some issues done myself

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I recently had an implant from a reputable clinic done in Dublin. Implant was 1250 and crown 625. Neodent was used which is a reputable brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm in the process and its looking more like the original figure quoted - somewhere north of 2k.

• Advertisement

absolute rip off

i get they have to make a living but the prices are shocking

A very highly technical, individually made piece made from medical quality materials has to be screwed into the bone of a face. Not something you want an amateur experimenting with. Yes its expensive but I can see where the cost could mount up. I can't see what sort of a decent job you could do for a quarter the price.

never said qtr of the price

i mean i know a person who's mouth was in shite in fairness his own doing etc

had to get all remaining teeth pulled and got new all on 4 implants ( 36k ) in ireland , so flew to Turkey and done for €15 all in with hotel and flights , same posts and abutments zirconia etc

let's be honest about the costs , everything in Ireland is a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Where was all-on-4 quoted €36k? This is much higher than typical cost.

That is a high risk treatment requiring a very high degree of precision and skill, if one implant fails, the whole prosthesis is blown. Due to the higher risk of the effects of parafunctional occlusal forces, it is not something that is done over a short timeframe and almost always requires adjustments during the temporisation/permanent phases. It certainly wouldn’t be something I would want to be risking on having abroad and no Implant clinic here would dream of touching it if there are issues. If your friend is young/middle aged, then he has to hope he gets through the rest of his life without an issue, or back on the plane he goes to have an implant replaced and the whole prosthesis remade (it’s all one piece with 12-14 teeth balanced on just 4 implants).

Post edited by Dav010 on

Someone else quoted 600 and I was talking about north of 2000, which is very roughly a quarter. Ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭dbas

Stick it under your pillow and hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I've had 2 implants so far. One was done in Northern Ireland, one in the South. Both were over €2K. On both occasions I needed bone grafts and this process took the best part of a year with multiple visits and time in between to allow bone grow. Even though I went to very good dentists , the more recent implant failed, there was a problem with the implant itself. There was absolutely no questions from the dentist, it was being replaced free of charge, again a few more visits to take out the broken one , allow the tissue heal, plenty of Xrays etc.

There is no way on earth I would travel to Turkey or anywhere to try and get a bargain with an implant. It is a precise, technical ,surgical procedure. In my case a flap of flesh was cut away , the upper jaw bone was drilled into and bone was grafted. I was awake for all of it, it is not for the fainthearted…… & there is risk of infection. Both implants are probably my strongest teeth now and it was money well spent. Yes dentistry is expensive in Ireland and the UK but the quality of the work is excellent. A 5 hour flight on top of that wouldn't be for me.

Advertisement