Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chickpea Burgers.

Options
  • 07-03-2024 3:22pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭

…………been making them for a while now and absolutely love them. I start off with dried beans, soak overnight, pressure cooker them for 16 minutes. Not 15, not 17 😀. Trial and error got me on to 16.

I mix the lightly mashed chickpeas with some breadcrumbs, oats, finely chopped onion, garlic, various spices, seasonings. They are delicious, however……. 😀 …..and I don’t think there is a way round it, they are incredibly soft and squishy. Not a problem really……well….it’s the nature of mashed chickpeas I suppose.

Anyone got any mix recipes then…..more oats? More breadcrumbs? I just put maybe 10-20% dry ingredients in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Classic falafel recipes use soaked but uncooked chickpeas. Maybe try that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Or a mix of cooked and uncooked might be the magic formula.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've made falafel burgers from my falafel paste, stays together well enough and a good texture. (as above, soak chickpeas overnight, grind with other ingredients, fry in generous amount of oil). I like texture in my falafel so I don't grind for too long, but it's easy enough to go too far and get a smooth paste (that holds together great)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭jj880

I make chickpea

And

Chickpea + beetroot (grow it myself)

The beetroot gives the burger a nice pink colour. Dont bother soaking anything just blitz in a processor then press.

Into the fridge between some grease proof "patty papers" to set.

Very nice. 👌

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I mean, I cook them at the end when they're fried (no, you cannot air fryer them unless you love the taste of tragedy), but the paste is just soaked chickpeas all ground up with spices and coriander and salt and garlic... (I over simplify)

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I made similar chickpea burgers before but added mashed kidney beans, just more of the same really.

Ok…….so it seems that just soak from dry, overnight and grind, mix with whatever you choose and fry. Will give this a try soon. Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

You should add some chia seeds to the wet mix, cover and refrigerate overnight. The chia seeds will absorb the excess moisture and give you a better texture and then you can for them and bake them. This works too if for some reason they need to be gluten free.

Some recipes or techniques online suggest……almost, deep frying the soaked chickpea pattie in a couple of cups of oil. Like a falafel.

A smaller pan is great for this as you can get the oil to come halfway up the side of the patty w/o needing to use a whole bottle. I find deepfrying the patty as is just too awkward so a deepshallow fry is easiest (see also dorado tacos)

Oh! and if you batch cook, they freeze well enough but next day falafel are always softer (But still together). Bake them or refry as you prefer then after.

Still……as good as beef imo. Layer of egg included. Half a gherkin, slice of tomato, slice of plastic cheese and fried onions. Brown sauce and mayo.

A few more to get through from the freezer then into the soaked/ mashed version. 😀

Advertisement