Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

401k withdrawal after age 49 1/2 and taxation in USA if living in Ireland

Options
  • 07-03-2024 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I want to begin drawdown of my 401K in small amounts to assist in paying off my mortgage here in Ireland.

I file tax returns in USA every year and pay zero tax in USA as I pay my income tax in Ireland and exempt my Irish income on USA tax returns as tax is already paid in one jurisdiction. I will be retiring in a few years time in Ireland. I have no other income in the USA.

I note that Married Filing joint that we can have $22,000 income in USA before I am liable for taxation so I think I will withdraw about $21,000 per year while I am earing in Ireland and still getting earned income exemption in USA.

Am I right about this?

Advertisement