Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OBD reader recommendation

Options
  • 06-03-2024 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hello, what’s a decent OBD reader and app for reading and clearing fault codes? Something that isn’t iCarly and requires an annual subscription. I have a Mk7 Golf but would prefer if it could read/clear fault codes on other brands also. I’m not a mechanic btw just trying to diagnose a problem myself without being extorted by a garage. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Launch x431 pro elite great job but is 600 euros but it included 2 years of updates

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭User1998

Launch CRP123x is all you need. €130, and easy to sell when your finished with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭mcw92

I use a Carista. It is a subscription app, but you can use any app you want with it instead.

The Carista app itself is mainly for access to modifications via an easy UI.

Its a long time ago I bought it, but it was ~£30 on Amazon at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I have a Nexas Bluetooth OBD reader. Cheap on Amazon. Has worked on 3 different cars for me including doing battery health on a Prius.

It supports loads of iOS and android apps.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭BobMc

any recommended apps for Android in particular, so many in playstore hard to pick one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,672 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Is there any android or apple apps (paid for) that can be used with an obd reader that are as good as an expensive handheld?

If not I don't understand why not as many phones would be way more powerful than a dedicated scanner so should easily be able to have the same capabilities

Advertisement