Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Advice from Youth Workers: Child Struggling in School and Youth Club

Options
  • 06-03-2024 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I'm reaching out to fellow youth workers for some advice on how to support a child who is facing challenges both at school and in our youth club. This child, let's call him Sam, has been exhibiting behavior issues and seems to be struggling academically as well.

At school, Sam's teachers have reported that he is often disruptive in class, has difficulty focusing, and his grades are starting to suffer. Similarly, in our youth club sessions, Sam appears withdrawn, avoids participating in activities, and occasionally exhibits outbursts of anger or frustration.

As youth workers, I believe we have a unique opportunity to provide support and guidance to Sam during this difficult time. I'm eager to hear from others who may have encountered similar situations and can offer insights or strategies for helping Sam navigate these challenges.

What approaches have you found to be effective in supporting children who are experiencing difficulties in both academic and social settings? How can we create a safe and supportive environment for Sam to express himself and address his concerns? Any advice or experiences you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your input and support.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coolio83

It might be a good idea to apply for an AON assessment for this child, as it will look at all areas they are struggling in, and introduce the right supports from there. Our give you advice on the services required, be it OT etc. If you can financially support this you can access private services also. 🤍🤍

Advertisement