Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grangegorman West Quad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

This seems like an unusual transaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Interesting approach. In fairness to the GGDA, they have made great progress developing the campus, particularly given the recession which hit before they really got started. This article shows how much has happened in 10 years (which isn't a lot of time when developing a third level campus for >20,000 students). It has been a huge boost for the city and transformative for the northwestern inner city. They have also gotten good money for some of the old DIT campuses. You'd have to give them the benefit of the doubt when taking a novel approach here.

I have thought for years that it would be great if Dublin Business School could move into the TUD Aungier Street campus, it'd be perfect for them as it is already set up for educational use and DBS could consolidate onto one site. The main benefit for the city would be freeing up the block at the top of George's Street for redevelopment. It's an absolute monstrosity, especially given what was knocked to build that. The owner of that building should be pushing hard for the West Quad, get DBS in Aungier Street and redevelop the George's Street block.

What seems odd to me is where they say "The entitlement of TU Dublin to remain in place and enjoy the full use and benefit of the Aungier St. Campus until such time as 60 working days after the West Quad reaches Substantial Completion". 60 working days is 3 months which isn't a lot of time to relocate a large number of courses involving a huge number of staff and students, particularly if happening during the academic year (and even worse, if impacting on exams).

Surely they'd be better off saying that they'll hand over Aungier St in the September following Substantial Completion? That gives them time to make the move over the summer and have everything ready for the start of the new academic year. They could give permission for the future owner to submit a planning application before handover, meaning the campus is ready for redevelopment once TUD vacate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

I have to say I'd never expected barter like this, I wonder what led them down this road to make this offer vs a cash sale

Advertisement