Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding Drop when Manouvering Bike

Options
  • 05-03-2024 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I have had a couple of near misses when manoeuvring my bike. I have a garage which is downhill from the road so I am freewheeling slowly backwards to the garage. Both times my foot slipped on loose pebbles on a wet surface. So apart from sweeping the drive, would anyone have any ideas for techniques to minimise the possibility of my boot slipping followed by the dreaded drop. Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Platform boots 😁 or sweep the drive way.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Tech_Head

I’d avoid bringing it backwards. Walk it down facing forward and then 180 it in the garage or driveway if needed.

You can pivot it on the kickstand in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pressure wash the surface. Grime can build up and make it slippy. Need to clean that surface.

Secondly ditch that footwear need something with good grip rubber soles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

+1 for the don't do it that way tip.

Walk it to where you can put it firmly on the stand and then mount in safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

This exactly, get it down forwards and then for 95% of bikes it's handy to spin them about on the side stand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

without seeing the location or gradient....if it were me and i had the room, id ride it down into the garage If you have the room where you park it and space to stop. and turn it when you get in. Or as suggested, back it down, side stand down, and in 1st gear so you can release the clutch if the bike is going away from you. its important you stay / follow at the same gradient as the slope, not working against the fall angle or yourself.

most often you'll find that not being comfortable on a surface or gradient can create problems most riders and tyres are able to deal with, but dont know it. ive done off road stuff with a big 1000cc africa twin , and they show you how to turn a bike on a steep hill while standing aside it, something you'd never dream of doing, but its quite easy once shown and you get the confidence.

worth knowing too that Daytona do higher sole boots for men / women, giving you more surefootedness if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pjackson

Thanks everyone- some good advice and ideas together. The idea of riding it down and doing a 180 on the sidestand hadn't occurred to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

sidestand up if riding it, you catch that it could cause you to drop the bike imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Moose1

Try walking bike backwards with you on LHS with Sidestand down in first gear and use clutch to slow bike?

Otherwise ride it down and 180 if space. You can also buy or make a turntable using a lazy susan bearing on an Aluminium plate it could make it easier (If you have a centre stand)

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Turning the bike on the sidestand looks like a great idea, but I've heard stories of the sidestand breaking or, worse, the frame or an engine casing. I don't know how true/exaggerated those are. Any opinions.

• Advertisement

They're exaggerated. The side stand is built for these types of tolerances. You have the master the method though. It easy once you've mastered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

+1 to all the comments above, but, having tried to paddle a bike backwards while in the saddle during my IBT and dropping not only the bike I was on, but also the neighbouring one, an MT-03, breaking its rear footpeg, which was made out of cheese, I would recommend doing these manoeuvres on foot.

The standard advice when manually moving a bike is to position yourself on the left side of the bike, so as to be able to readily use the handbrake, which you should cover throughout. You should allow some of the weight of the bike to rest on your right hip. When moving the bike backwards the right hand should push against something suitable at the back of the bike, such as a pillion handgrip or luggage rack. In your case, if reversing downhill you obviously won't have to do this, but hold onto the two handgrips, controlling speed with the handbrake

I've considered this again.

Sell the house.

Advertisement