Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Spotlight behaving strangely

Options
  • 05-03-2024 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I have an LED spotlight outside my front door - it's there about 3 years (maybe 4). It came with a motion sensor included. It's an Aldi or Lidl product.

Recently it is staying on - shining very weakly and seems to be varying in intensity. When it detects motion, it functions normally - with full intensity and cuts out at the specified interval.

I assume it's not a wiring problem - it certainly wasn't doing this before.

Any ideas what is causing this behaviour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Did you install the LED spotlight bulb yourself? i.e. replace an older bulb?

A lot of solid state, electronic switches seem to have been designed for incandescent / halogen bulbs and expect there to be some resistance in the circuit. They allow a tiny trickle of current to flow which is enough to cause an LED to light dimly / flicker and flash.

You often see it with older smart switches.

It's also possible the electronics in the light fitting are failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It could be a little moisture getting in to the light fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭NSAman

Just replaced and LED, the sensor was broken (hole in the coating) leading to staying on permanently and browning out (moisture got in) dry days were fine, wet days many problems. Changed now with a new Phillips one and all is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

probably moisture getting into the pcb board...time to change it unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Thanks all of you for the advice. I installed a new LED floodlight at the same location (using the same supply cables) and it is working fine.

Yes, the electronics in the old one must have been getting dodgy. Moisture ingress could be a factor too - it is in a fairly exposed location.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement