Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun club permission

Options
  • 05-03-2024 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Can someone tell me if a gun club needs permission to put in those barrel feeders on my land and obviously access them to refill them ?

Many thanks.

Answers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Yes, as a general rule anyone needs permission to do anything on your land, with some very limited exceptions like rights of way.

Did you give them any form of permission to do anything on your land?

My thinking you may have given them permission to hunt over it and they took it as good to rear and release birds to hunt over it.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gr8 m8

Thanks for the reply. Well they are the local gun club and I've never put in or out with them except if I saw someone with a rifle I would explain that there are cattle near by and to give them a wide berth. But I've never been approached by anyone and I've been the owner for the last 14 years.

Would the feeder suggest that they have released birds onto the land?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I'd get a contact number for the club secretary and call them. NARGC may be able to help here.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭JP22

More than likely, most clubs who release birds use feeders both for the birds welfare and to try and hold them to ground.

Depending on size of feeders they may only need filling once a month or so.

Agree with slipperyox, contact the local gun club secretary(or the NARGC directly if the local club hasn't got easily findable contact details) and inform them of what has been happening.

If the land changes hands then clubs are required to go to the new landowner for permission as the previous owner's sayso ends with the change of ownership.

And yes, a feeder would suggest either there are birds in the area the club are feeding, or have indeed released there.

On the person with a rifle, it is illegal for someone to hunt on land they don't have permission to hunt on:

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1976/act/39/section/28/enacted/en/html

There is also the aspect of armed trespass, and this little nugget since 2002(in particular section 19C):

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2002/act/9/section/24/enacted/en/html

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's impossible to give absolute answer. But I would assume that they had permission previously and haven't realised of considered that the land has changed hands. Unfortunately this means that they have technically been shooting the land without permission. Feeders usually means released birds, but it also could be to aggregate wild birds to an area.

Being a local gun club doesn't give them any rights over your land. You are the landowner (if it possible for the game/hunting rights to exist separately from ownership, but its rare). But I would assume that that simply haven't realised their previous agreement terminated, rather than intentional trespass .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Hold on now, this whole thread has just turned absolutely toxic.

This is nuts. This is a shooting forum, I’ld be of the opinion that it would be a place for the people in the shooting community to or those looking to get into shooting to exchange or get information.

But this thread now has descended into a bunch of ‘know it all’s’ telling a non shooter how best to prosecute and under what laws they can do it, all because a few fellow shooters / members of the local gun club putting up a few harmless feeders.

If you’re not happy with the feeders on your land pick it up and stick outside the gate on the road and put a sign on it to ‘please remove’. Or if you really want to go to town on it you could festoon the place with ‘No Tresspassing signs’.

If you are fourteen years in a place and you don’t know who the neighbours are you have bigger problems.

Simple answer is…. Go find out who put the bin up and go talk to them.. is that so hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nobody mentioned prosecuting anyone, and OP doesn't seem to be looking to. Was there some posts deleted or something?

I’d be of the opinion that it would be a place for the people in the shooting community to or those looking to get into shooting to exchange or get information.

That's exactly what this forum is for and does well. Reminding shooters that a sale can affect your permission is pretty solid information.

I know when land near my club had been sold, the club were not always alerted to the change is ownership/permission.

Nope, no posts have been deleted in this discussion.

I suspect Deeks may have misinterpreted my posting the relevant laws, which was responding to the point that OP made in his second post regarding "someone with a rifle", rather than the feeders being placed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

'Relevant laws'.... how is tresspassing with a feeder armed tresspass?.... actually don't bother answering that, I don't need to know.

I don't think there's any need to go into what the law states unless its specifically asked for. The OP wanted to know if a gun club needed permission to put out feeders..... I think he could have answered his own question himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭JP22

As to the person with the rifle, it could have been anyone.

On the other hand, it may be a Club member doing vital vermin control which benefits both the Club and the Landowner. It’s pointless putting out game feeders and not controlling vermin.

The relevant laws were concerning someone with a rifle on land which they don't have permission to be on...

The feeders part has nought to do with the laws I posted. But OP's second post did mention the person with a rifle on their land, thus the links.

I don't think there's any need to go into what the law states unless its specifically asked for.

And yet nearly every discussion thread here inevitably goes down to what the law is on a subject.

OP is free to do what they want with the information, but the information is indeed relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gr8 m8

Thank you for all the information and replies on this question. I feel like I have kicked a hornets nest and should apologise.

However, Mr. Deeks. You have incorrectly concluded that I am not a shooter, which I am but I own the land that I hunt on so I don't feel the need to join a club!

As for posting on this forum, well had I known that it wasn't an open forum then obviously I would have obtained your permission before asking the question. Which leads me to the fact that you take issue with me asking my question about these harmless feeders on this open forum but cannot see my point about other people letting themselves onto private land. And apparently asking the question is more harmful in your eyes?

I wonder if I was in your back yard some day without permission, would you take issue with that or just let me carry on? And what bigger problems do I have if I don't know my neighbours at this point?

I would say that I await your answer but as you so elegantly put it " actually don't bother answering that, I don't need to know"!!

To everyone that took the time to answer my questions and pass on their knowledge, thank you.

Advertisement