Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring collurx

Options
  • 05-03-2024 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I was recently quoted close to €700 to replace 5 sockets and install 3 new sockets so I decided to at least try to do some of these things myself.

There is one particular socket (its working) that I want to replace with a new face, but the wiring colours are a mix of old and new (see below)

I assume that

red and brown = live

black and blue = neutral

green/yellow = earth

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭10-10-20

You have the colours right, but you have a bit of an unsafe mess on your hands there.

Find the source of that dampness first and eliminate it, it has already corroded the earth terminals. If it's a damp area or one prone to plashing then it should have a suitable IP rated enclosed box fitted. Install a new back-box onto that wall solidly and then strip-back and reattach the wiring to the new socket. It might be better for all if it's installed further up the wall from where that socket already is (the cables can be routed from underneath then too). Only the external sheath should be exposed and none of the coloured wires. Then secure the wiring to the wall using cable clips. Take no risks and be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 brenbrenlim

Thanks.

there was a leak there thats why it looks damp.

leak is fixed now but I might just get an electrician to do everything considering the corroded cables you mentioned

Advertisement