Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Design Proposal

Options
  • 05-03-2024 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I'm currently in the planning and designing stage of a new build and have received the below design proposal from our architect. Just looking to get some extra feedback on the design and layout. There are some changes that I would like to make ie, adding more glass to rear elevation and layout of the kitchen as we don't require a snug.

Also the scale is larger than I thought and was wondering if anyone could provide a rough estimate on cost of a house this size. Being built in Dublin with standard materials and finishes, nothing too fancy (despite what the WIW implies)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

There are 2 windows shown at first floor level on the rear elevation but aren't shown on the floor plan.

What's the orientation? Which direction is North or South?

Edit. Sorry I see the points now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Rear elevation looks wrong - the extended side of kitchen is not included.

Likewise for the front elevation. That's a very basic error which certainly wouldn't promote confidence in the architect.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Ye this was raised with the architect and these aren't final plans, more initial scheme design for us to get an idea of space and layout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Can you give any context on the site? guessing Garden is off to the side

The site is an awkward shape due to an existing build. You can see it below.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Considering the shape of the site and the southern aspect to the side of the house, I would look to move the downstairs toilet and utility over to the north wall in the kitchen area (in line with the stairs).

Have a door rather than a window in the utility.

Moving the toilet and utility will allow a more open plan downstairs which is really what you want. Sitting room is too small in my opinion, I would get rid of the door into the sitting room from the hall and perhaps put sliding doors facing the kitchen so you can have open plan, but close it off when needed.

More glass along south aspect without doubt.

Walk in wardrobe is a waste of space as I think it's too small. We have a larger walk in wardrobe and it's still too small to be effective.

Bedroom 4 seems small, would you consider swapping bedroom 4 with the bathroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kevgaa

I would agree the bathroom is too big.

Swap with bedroom four is a good idea or other option is add an ensuite to bedroom 3 and make the bathroom smaller. Reason I say that is the master bedroom up two flights of stairs maybe ok now but as you get older it will become a headache.

Thanks for the ideas and feedback. Moving the utility and toilet is a very good idea that I hadn't thought of.

We're in agreement with more glass along the south of the house. Architect was strictly sticking to budget that we provided. Our budget has increased which will facilitate this.

On Bedroom 4, it won't be a bedroom, it'll be a small office. We've no need for 4 bedrooms and wanted the larger bathroom, it was very important to herself.

• Advertisement

Bedroom 4 will just be an office, having the large bathroom was essential to my partner.

We're in our early 30's and late 20's so the two flights of stairs hopefully won't be an issue for a very long time if it ever did become one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'd have a door from the Utility to the outside. Handy for bringing in wet/muddy things.

Agreed. The external door out of the kitchen should go and use a door from the utility room instead. Then move the internal door from kitchen to utility room over to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭kevgaa

As someone with a large bathroom like the plan below its a waste of space and is never used except by guests. With the master upstairs with an ensuite and a bathroom downstairs you will be bypassing the 1st floor and that bathroom will only be used by guests and kids. Herself will be using the ensuite and master for getting ready make-up etc

If this is a long term house I wouldn't rule out the snug as you put it. It may not seem important now but its good to have a 2nd area to relax away from herself or kids in the future. Everyone needs their own space occasionally and limiting yourself to just the livingroom for relaxing in front of the TV is a mistake in my view..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I agree with having the 2 areas for relaxing/watching tv. We had an extension built and the layout is not too dissimilar to your kitchen plans. We rarely use the front room but do on occasion, when we want to watch something different. But we have a 4 year old so I'm sure both areas will be used a lot more in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 NotThisMorning

Sorry, Covid brain 🧠

Post edited by NotThisMorning on

• Registered Users Posts: 11 NotThisMorning

Dunno the context but that design is poor.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,996 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there are some basic design errors and unresolved areas in that currently.

simple things like, as has been noted above, the rear door should be from the utility room, meaning the location of the counter in the utility should be flipped to the opposite wall. the door to the kitchen should be pushed closer to the wc, and the utility entered against the wc wall.

the kitchen counter area should be along the wall where the stairs is located, and the sitting area should be where the kitchen is currently. this allows for, both, french door access from the sitting area to the sun trap area of the garden and for teh sitting area to get the most sunlight. id keep the opening where the current rear door is, but change it to a vertical window.

im not convinced the stairs work either, youd need to see a section through the stairs to determine exactly the impact in the walls on the first floor, ensuring both stairs are reg compliant.

the steel holding up the wall over the current dining table will be located too close to the end of the kitchen window, which weakens this junction. An alternative design is needed here, if you insist on keeping the kitchen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭bemak

agree with what's been said already. if i was to approach a site like this i would keep it simple - stretch the house so that it fills up the nothern part of the site (if north is this side). locate all your circulation and bathrooms/utility along the north (blue) to allow all the living areas (green) to be on the southern side with views into the garden. I would omit the single storey annex to the kitchen altogether

Advertisement