Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I find Someone to Put Plugs on Ethernet Cables?

Options
  • 05-03-2024 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I've a new build house which is wired to various network sockets around the house and to various security camera locations on the walls of the house.

The ethernet cables for the sockets go back to the plant room and are not terminated, though they are labeled so I know which is for where. The security camera cables (I'm going to use POE cameras I have) are unterminated at both ends.

I'm comfortable enough in connecting everything to switches, setting up the cameras, adding wireless access points etc but I've never put plugs on ethernet cables before. I'm sure it's somthing I could learn to do but I have not got the time and I'm sure someone that's handy at doing them can do it very quickly in comparison. I'm also slightly scared of heights and so would be a bit worried about being up a ladder trying to wire a cable 10 feet off the ground.

So basically I'm looking to find someone to do this for me. In total I probably need about 30 plugs put on to cables.

Who should I be looking to get to do this? Not sure of the name of the kind of person/company does this?

I'm also a bit wary (like with everything else in building the house) of getting quotes of thousands of euro to do what would probably be a pretty simple job. I'd imagine it would make for a simple nixer for someone that worked in the area but not sure where I'd find someone suitable.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

A crimping tool from a good source is not much, €25 and upwards. They are fairly simple to use and there are loads of tutorials online for technique and variations, such as roll over cables etc.

If you are wiring sockets, you'll need a punching down tool, also inexpensive.

The trick is to test as you go, and just snip it off and start again where necessary, as long as you've got the slack.

It really would be worth trying it yourself.

Post edited by Lorddrakul on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Cheaper to do it yourself, I got this kit last year for a Starlink install.

Easy wire plugs and cable tester included.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08LH1JY2F?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

For a novice I would definitely recommend a pass through crimper like @The Cush linked to.

I initially got a traditional one and found it hard to master (probably less than 50% success rate) but changed to a pass through which is much easier to use.

As a novice I also find punching down keystone jacks is much easier than doing plugs.

You might want to consider a patch panel for the plant room rather than plugs. It will cost a bit more but is tidier and more robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bought a cheap RJ45 crimp tool and the success rate with it was 25%. It kept breaking the no.1 pin off.

Pass through is definitely easier but the crimp tool and the plugs cost more.

Punching down into a keystone is a lot easier, that said I have one wire out of 8 failing on my recent attempt, could be a faulty cable (which goes under the floors and is impossible to replace) or I might just need to punch it down harder. I'll check it out again tomorrow - need this to bring the fibre broadband into the living room not just into the hall. A network cable tester is essential for this sort of thing.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement