Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammed on Booking.com. Need some tips.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

Booking.com has more scammers than anyone.

They simply are no longer a trustworthy site to book with.

They earn their commission from the listings and rarely do more than a cursory check as they are only interested in the commission.

The problem is that they cover themselves in their terms and conditions and state that they are simply a booking engine and do not have any control over the accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can appeal that judgement as per the text you pasted above.

I would try that first.

Do you have Google location history turned on if you have an android phone? That would show that you didn't stay at the provided address and strengthen your complaint. I'm not sure if there is a iPhone equivalent.

In any case, do you not have evidence of the alternative accomodation that you had to purchase? Any photos from that place? Or can they vouch for your attendance. These are all items which would strengthen your credibility to whoever in booking.com is reviewing your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭alanbk

I have to say I use booking.com a lot but will reconsider in light of above. Any good comparable trustworthy booking sites to recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I use Booking.com for all my research......but book direct with the hotel.

I always use Tripadvisor for reviews.

I use Trivago in incognito browser (hate all these booking site remarketing adverts) and then try and choose the most suitable place and the preference is to book direct.

Booking is simply a booking engine. You do not have a contract with them. Your contract is with the place you have booked with. Hotels upload directly to booking and they take a commission. But resellers/room consolidators also use booking, so unless you check every detail you don't know whether you are booking directly with the hotel or with a reseller (eg Hotels.com - they will buy a batch of rooms at a "wholesale price" and then resell)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Some great suggestions here. I have photos of the place we stayed in the end. Also in Morocco they make you fill out a form (with date and passport #) that they are required to send to the government along with a 2.50euro fee per person. I will reach out to the manager of the hotel and ask them to send a photocopy of the form.

Great, this should make a bullet-proof appeal and I will see what they come back with.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Unfortunately Agoda the "competitor" site is owned by booking.com as well.

Ryanair do hotel bookings too on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Just an update on this. I put together a really strong appeal (spent about 2 hours working on it). In the appeal I gave an abundance of evidence that the profile is spurious and likely a scam (vague address, netherlands based number with no answer/response, one fake looking review, pictures stolen from different websites, proof that we stayed elsewhere) - Appeal was rejected. They keep citing that the host claims they provided the service. They are essentially taking the side of the lying scammer.

I have appealed again threatening to make a complaint about booking.com and Paypal to the European Consumer Complaint Resolution Authority. I will also make an appeal through my debit card provider and see if that leads anywhere.

I'm shocked at how this is being handled and just glad it's only €101 and not a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Sorry to hear that. You may add it to the list in Wikipedia:

It's the death knell of booking.com.

people have to understand that booking.com do not care one iota for the consumer.

They make their money from commission from the places that use their booking engine and they will bow down to these people - even the scammers.

For anyone reading this, never ever use booking.com. Simply book direct

• Advertisement
Advertisement