Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Stream TV - New Streaming box

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

”Launch” seems to mean something different nowadays than it did when I was younger - this box has been knocking about 9 months at least now.

Vodafone did the exact same.

What’s annoying with VM is that if you are upgraded to fibre you are forced onto this box with all the recording limitations that go with it. I mean, hopefully they’ll be sorted out, eir have managed to do it for all but RTE and VMTV (which I suspect is not about rights issues but wanting to push additional pre roll advertising on the Player). It is a serious downgrade for many people, despite the advantages of having a box that can be more easily moved about.

You’d wonder why they bothered launching TV360 so late in the day at all, I mean Horizon 3 is terrible, and was in bad need of replacement, but if this was coming so soon? (And at least Horizon 3 for all its faults can record!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If you are a new Customer to Virgin on fibre or HFC you 'are forced onto this box' so the "Launch" refers to the fact that they are dropping the 360 box with hard drive for HFC addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

These days companies have soft launches where you release a product onto the market with no publicity followed some time later with a proper launch with lots of publicity. The theory been that you iron out any problems during the soft launch period before the proper launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I was on their website yesterday as I might want to change providers, but I can't figure out how to get the box and or package without broadband.

I've got broadband that I am very happy with and I dont want to change it. I may not be able to anyway as I am in a contract.

Can anyone point me where/how I can get the box without broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

You have to have Virgin Broadband to use this box. So said the ad I saw on television for it.

• Advertisement

VM offers:

Mobile phone service

Broadband+TV (including tv on the go)

Broadband+TV+Landline Phone

But currently no standalone TV

Thanks for the clarification.

Then the statement "€15 per month for new customers who also sign up to Broadband" is a bit misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There are legacy customers on TV only.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

To be fair I don’t think they’ve offered TV only since TV360 launched and Sky are now the only company offering a broadband-neutral linear pay TV service here - everyone else only offers tv to their own broadband customers.

But VM is the successor of the old cablecos, its origins lie in TV delivery even though it would now see itself as primarily a broadband company. So they would still have TV only customers. You’d have to pity their customer support people as there are at least four generations of STB still out there including UPC Mediaboxes that are still being used as multiroom boxes in Horizon 3 households.

To be fair I don’t think they’ve offered TV only since TV360 launched and Sky are now the only company offering a broadband-neutral linear pay TV service here - everyone else only offers tv to their own broadband customers.

Fair enough, but it's not exactly clear cut and if it's not obvious to me, it's not going to be obvious to anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Anyone else lost the ability to replay any RTE programs? Incredibly infuriating......

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

Yep. The same thing has happened on the Virgin TV360 box. It’s happened before and lasted a few days before been fixed. It is really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭cloudhopper19

You can't but you could get the new Sky Stream Service which is the same basically with Netflix included

Advertisement