Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloning & Replacing a HDD with a 2TB SSD

Options
  • 04-03-2024 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Hi, can anyone recommend an all-in-one package for cloning a HDD & puttin it onto an SSD & then replacing the HDD with the SSD, i.e. can an SSD be purchased that comes with software that allows the HDD to be cloned?

Basically I have a desktop with a 512GB Samsung 970 Pro, M.2 PCIe (MZ-V7P512BW) & a 2TB Seagate IronWolf Pro NAS, SATA3, 7200RPM (ST2000NE0025). Windows 10 Pro is installed on the HDD and I reserve the SSD for other files. The issue with this configuration is that the PC is slow to startup / reboot so I want to replace the HDD with a 2nd SSD, ideally 2TB in size.

Note that the Motherboard is an ASUS Z390-A and the expansion slots are listed below. I'm no expert on this sorta stuff but it looks like one of the slots is already taken by the 512GB Samsung SSD & it appears to be the 1st PCIEX16_1 that is taken. So I guess that means I just need to get an SSD that is PCIEX16 compatible. Am I corrct in thinking this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Could I also use a SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD? Something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭halkar

Your new Ssd will connect to one of the Sata connectors marked with number 9 on that board. You can get usb to sata cable and use one of the freeware cloning tools to clone your hard drive. Once you cloned and installed the new drive you need to change your boot drive in bios.

Looking at this article there are 2 options. A 2.5" SSD or an M2 SSD.

Any recommendations as to which would be easier / better. Can I clone the existing HDD onto an M2. This appears to be the easiest one to fit.

Is the EasyULT Adaptor you linked above for connecting the 3.5" HDD to the 2.5" SSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭halkar

If there is a free M2 slot it be easier. You can plug the new drive to M2 slot and clone your boot drive to it. After cloning change the boot drive in bios pointing to your new drive.

Usb to ssd adapter is for cloning your existing boot drive without opening the case. After cloning you install the new ssd drive and change your boot drive in bios pointing to new drive.

• Advertisement

I have 2 x spare PCIEX16 slots. I'm assuming these are for M.2 drives as the current M.2 drive is mounted in slot 1. Would it just be a matter of plugging in a new M.2 SSD into one of these slots and cloning the existing HDD onto it and changing the boot drive in bios to point at the new M.2?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

m.2 drives don't fit into PCIe slots. There's adapters that can be used to sit into the slot and that m.2 drive goes into them. Alternately you could look for some of the early solid state drives that came on PCIe cards instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Refer to your MoBo manual/specs, outlined would be m.2 SLOT#2

Read the notes! - using m.2_2 will impact speeds or completely disable some other ports/interfaces, but it might not be relevant to your setup

IF , after successful clone you remove HDD from system, you likely wont need to change boot order as only drive that will have required boot info will be on your new NVMe - system will fall to it automagically.

In some instances it still might require the boot order change(and i would), in particular if other drives with Win installation present on system or boot disabled from specific ports(m.2, USB, etc)

Anyone know if a Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD will work on my motherboard (ASUS Z390-A).

As mentioned above it already has a 512GB Samsung 970 PRO NVMe® M.2 SSD 512GB.

I'm just not sure about interface compatibility. 970 is for a *PCIe Gen 3.0 x 4, NVMe 1.3 Interface*.

990 is for a *PCIe Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 2.0* interface.

• Advertisement

they are backwards compatible, just in case refer to manufacturer specs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yes, it'll just drop down and negotiate a link at PCIe 3.0 speed instead, that's all.

Advertisement