Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Cat6 ethernet cable into steel garden office - how?

Options
  • 04-03-2024 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Took delivery of a shiny new 6x3m garden office last week, damp proof and floor gone in, power being run in the coming days, very excited to move my office out of the house.

Just one thing - how do I get internet out to it? I've got a tp link mesh system in the house with 1 coming off the main router and 2 access points. I've experimented with having one access point in the room closest the office, but signal is still average at best. The office building is about 4-5 meters from the back of the house. I am open to upgrading to a poe switch and access points, with one on the back wall of the house, but ideally I would run cat6 in the conduit with the power cable so I could hard wire the internet in the office. The issue arises when it pops out of the ground beside the office - there is no way of getting it through the wall! The power connects with a 3 pin plug like that on a camper van, which came pre-fitted to the rear wall of the building. I would need to drill another hole to feed the cat6 cable through, which I ran by the supplier and was told that because the panels are PVC coated for weather proofing, drilling could expose the steel and cause it to rust, voiding the warranty. Their suggestion was to remove one of the existing bolts, and feed the cable through that, but removing bolts doesn't sit well with my OCD.

With the number of garden offices sold over the past 4 years, someone must have come across this before? What did you do?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd drill a hole and respray the steel afterward. That should weatherproof it? Maybe have the hole up high under the eaves?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

This along with a weatherproof cable gland siliconed onto the wall is likely my best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Fern Bench

We bought another TP link and plugged it in in the shed. Worked straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Apparently, to prevent any interference, you're supposed to use a shielded cat6 cable that's at least 20cm distance apart when running it parallel to a power cable.

Right well I’m not digging 2 trenches to the shed 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

One trench with the data cable on top……..

what about power line convertora

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I use a pair of p2p access points acting as a wireless bridge to go about 20 metres.

Both of them are inside their respective buildings, pointing at each other.

I get about 100Mbits. There is some foliage in the way.

It works but I'd rather have cat6 in a trench. Unfortunately I despite digging.

P2P access points look like a good shout!

I moved one of the decos to the kitchen and tested my internet speed in the office versus standing beside the deco in the kitchen and there’s not a major drop off.

Office:

Kitchen:

I’d probably get away with an exterior repeater on the back wall of the house that’ll save me digging a deeper/second trench and drilling into the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just use these https://amzn.eu/d/62YJknj

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Homeplugs are worth a shot, but your results may vary. They tend to be solid, but a bit slower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement